What do you do when you have a basket full of pears lying on your counter, shouting to be used quickly! You make Pear Chutney. When we think of chutneys we normally think tangy and spicy. But this fruit chutney is sweet and delectable. It is so versatile, you can pair it with crackers or cheese or use as a topping for your grilled meat or lick it just like that. We even like to mix a little with our daily rice and lentil. This Chutney can be refrigerated for 3-4 weeks but needs to be stored in sterilized jars. Just put the jar in boiling water for 10 minutes to warm it up.
All the ingredients in the recipe are unprocessed and so support my pledge I took with Andrew Wilder at Eating rules. Yes Unprocessed October! I will be cooking and eating unprocessed food for the entire month of October. It sounds a little tough , but I’ll try my level best.
- Add white vinegar and sugar in a large heavy bottom pan
- Bring to a boil
- Add all the remaining ingredients
- Cook on very slow heat for about an hour, until the mixture is thick
- Using a potato masher, mash the pears a bit
- Pour into hot sterilized jar and seal
- This chutney keep well if refrigerated for 3-4 weeks