Asian cuisine is known for its sauces. Unlike Indian and other parts of Asia, Chinese cuisine does not involve much cooking of ingredients. There is plenty of use of sauces however, from the sweetish fish sauce, to the spicy chilli tomato sauce and even the regular tomato sauce or ketchup.
Hoisin Sauce is a similar Chinese sauce that is thick, pungent and with depth. It is often used as a glaze for meat dishes, and often vegetarian stuff like tofu and paneer too. The sauce is primarily made up of Soy Sauce, Garlic and Black Pepper powder. Although traditionally, soya beans were toasted and mashed for this, soya sauce use makes this infinitely better and easier. However the addition of peanut butter and Chinese hot sauce give an added depth to it. The sauce is very easy to prepare, since it just needs the mixing together of all the ingredients. Although hoisin sauce is available in market these days, it’s very economical to make at home and you can be sure of the quality and the ingredients used.
- Soy sauce - 4 tbsp
- Smooth Peanut Butter - 2 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves ( Minced )
- Honey - 1 tbsp
- Sesame Oil - 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder - ¼ tsp
- Chinese Hot Sauce - 1 tsp ( If it is not available, you can use Red Chilli paste instead )
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the sauce in a clean glass jar.
- Store in refrigerator for up a month.