I had seen my mom cooking up a storm in her kitchen through out my childhood and unconsciously picked up a lot of tips and tricks when it comes to cooking. Having said that, baking is quite a new area for me and I had to do a lot of study and reading to make my bakes perfect. It all started 5 years ago when we were in the US and the easy availability of the ingredients and equipments required there encouraged me to pick up the whisk and tame the oven. Now after years of practising and trying out recipes after recipes including various cakes, cookies, tarts and more and modifying them after every experiment, I can proudly say that I have reached a place where my bakes turns out perfect. Baking is slightly complicated than cooking as unless you know the science behind it, it’s always advisable to stick to the recipe to the T unlike in cooking where a little modification here and there doesn’t effect the end result much and the same apply to this recipe to make Perfect Tart Shells. While making tarts, the shell is very crucial and it should be flaky and buttery to make a perfect tart. So here is a recipe to make Perfect Tart Shells easily at home from scratch and using the basic ingredients available at home. Make sure to keep the dough cold at all time. That is the reason we are not kneading the dough with our hands as the heat from the hands can melt the butter and tart shell will not turn out as flaky as should be.
Perfect Tart Shells
Perfect Tart Shells
- Put the plastic blade in your food processor.
- Add all purpose flour, sugar and butter to it.
- Pulse together till butter is blended into the flour and the mixture is crumbly with some of the butter pieces the size of peas.
- You can use a fork to blend the butter with the flour if you don't have a food processor.
- Add ice cold water one tablespoon at a time and pulse just until the flour comes together.
- Remove the flour on the work surface and bring it together and make a ball.
- Do not over knead the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2-3 equal portions.
- Flatten it a little bit.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tart dough from the refrigerator and roll on a slightly floured surface to a thickness of 6-7 mm.
- Roll it in the shape of your tart pan.
- Very gently, lift the dough and cover the tart pan with it. ( Roll your dough over the rolling pin and unroll over the tart pan. )
- Press gently to cover the tart pan nicely.
- Remove the excess from the corners.
- If the dough breaks from anywhere, just fill that space with the extra dough.
- Fill the tart with with Pie Weights such as kidney beans or rice.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Bake the tart shells for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove it from the oven and cool.
- Gently remove the Pie Weights and use the shell as required.