Chaat is one of the popular snacks in North India and owing to its inviting taste, it has become famous from Kashmir to Kanyakumari in India. Made using a motley of bases, chutneys, munchies and fresh ingredients, Chaat can be sweet, tangy, spicy or savoury! Being from North India, I have had my fair share of Chaat and I cannot help but always have a jarful of Khajoor Imli Ki Chutney and Coriander and Mint Chutney stored in the refrigerator so that I can prepare a plateful of my favourite Chaat whenever I want. I have tried various Chaat such as Bhel Puri, Dahi Puri but Papdi Chaat was a snack that I was yet to document in my food diary. Last week, I made Papdi Chaat so that I could share its recipe with everyone of you!
Papdi Chaat is a yummy snack assorted with crunchy base of Papdi (crisp puris) which is topped with lip-smacking chutneys, veggies and curd. The crispy Papdi topped with potatoes, onions, chickpeas, chutneys, curd and spices offers a gamut of flavours in its one morsel. I am a big time fan of curd based chaat and Papdi Chaat got in good books as well. Papdi Chaat can be served for starters as well for snacks during evenings. I even host Chaat Party for my BFFs and turns out quite fun! You can make Papdi Chaat healthier by using Baked Papdi, I had tried it as well and believe me, the taste is not at all compromised! Do note the recipe of Papdi Chaat to try it at home:
- Papdi - 20-24 pieces
- Curd - 1 and ½ cup ( Chilled )
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Potato - ½ cup ( Boiled and cut into small cubes )
- Black Chickpeas - ½ cup ( Soaked for 3-4 hours and then boiled with salt until softened )
- Onion - 2 tbsp ( Chopped )
- Coriander and mint chutney - ¼ cup
- Tamarind chutney - ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Chaat masala powder - 1 tsp
- Fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp ( Chopped )
- Nylon sev - ¼ cup
- Pomegranate seeds - ¼ cup
- Arrange the papdi in a plate in a single layer.
- Whisk curd with sugar and pour it over the papdi.
- Add potato, black chickpeas and onion on top.
- Drizzle coriander and mint chutney and Tamarind chutney on top.
- Sprinkle salt, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, fresh coriander and nylon sev on top.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Serve immediately.
- Note - You can increase or decrease the amount of chutneys and spices according to your preference.
- Serve the Papdi Chaat immediately after assembling.
- If you want to serve it later, you can keep all the ingredients ready and just assemble the chaat just before you are ready to serve.