Right since my stay in the US, Thanksgiving has become a really special occasion for me. Not only do I look forward to cherishing all the festivities associated with it but it is an understated joy to ideate the special menu for Thanksgiving! Every year, on Thanksgiving, I prepare dishes like Herb Garlic Roasted Prawns, Sauteed Wine Garlic Mushroom, Pear Pomegranate Salad and I relish them with my family. Not only does it make us all nostalgic about our days in the US but it even bestows us with a chance to feel grateful for the abundance that we have in our lives. Thanksgiving meal is one of the most spiritually rejuvenating experience for us and every year, even my kiddo feels all positive and sanguine about this entire family ritual of ours. So, this time, I am even making Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken as some of my friends are going to join us as well.
Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken is finger-licking dish prepared from whole chicken, herbs, and a generous dash of lemon. Along with these, Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken even has a nice coat of herb butter which gives a heavenly texture and subtle saltiness to this dish.
You can serve Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken with salad as well and it can be enjoyed just as it is. However, here’s what I recommend, do reheat it once before you serve your Thanksgiving meal because then it would taste more yummier and ain’t it fun to eat food that is piping hot, eh?
So, friends, here’s a quick manual for making Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken for this Thanksgiving:
Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken
Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken
- Whole Chicken - 1
- Fresh Rosemary - 10-12 sprigs
- Fresh parsley - 10-12 sprigs
- Fresh thyme - 10-12 sprigs
- Lemon - 2 ( Cut into halves )
- To Brine the chicken
- Buttermilk - ½ litre
- Salt - 4 tsp
- Freshly cracked black pepper - 1 tsp
- For the herbed Butter
- Unsalted Butter - ½ cup
- Lemon Zest - 2 tsp
- Fresh Thyme - ¼ cup
- Fresh Parsley - ¼ cup
- Fresh sage - ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Combine buttermilk, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add chicken so that it is completely submerged in the buttermilk.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Add all the ingredients for herbed butter in a food processor and blend till nicely combined.
- Keep aside.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk brine.
- Tie the legs with a twine.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan with breast side up on a metal rack.
- Smear the herb butter all over the chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with sage, parsley, thyme and lemon halves.
- Place the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C and cook for another hour.
- Keep basting the chicken with the dripping in the pan at regular intervals.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature at the thickest part of the chicken and it should be 75 Degrees C.
- Increase the heat to maximum until chicken is nicely browned from outside.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover it with aluminium foil until it is ready to be served.
- Keep again the oven at 180 degrees for 10-12 minutes just before serving.