There is nothing bland about eating steamed rice, but don’t we all crave for a change, right? Well, what better than relishing Jeera Chawal or Zeera Rice with Dhabe Wali Dal Tadka or Dal Fry! Jeera Rice is a very famous Indian preparation where steamed rice is flavored with Cumin seeds. Just a touch of cumin seeds crackled in a little ghee and a few whole spices bring a huge transformation in plain steamed rice and takes it on a much higher level. I heart the flavours that cumin seeds and various spices such as cardamon, bay leaf, cloves grant to the rice. Jeera Rice therefore, tastes more delicious! Moreover, as it is generously sprinkled with fresh coriander leaves, its gives a strong flavour and crunch to complement Jeera Rice. Just a tip from my end, while preparing jeera Rice use long grained Basmati and add a few drops of ghee so that the grains do not stick together
Jeera Rice can be enjoyed with any Indian curry or Dal preparation. Oh, my kiddo loves Jeera Rice so much that he often eats it with fresh curd. Boil a nice pot of Jeera Rice and cook up some finger-licking curry for your family today! Bon Appetit!
Here is a video recipe to make Zeera Chawal
- Long grain Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp plus 2 tsp
- Green Cardamom - 2-3
- Cloves - 3-4
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Black peppercorn - 3-4
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 1 ( Chopped )
- Fresh coriander - 1 tbsp ( chopped )
- Wash the rice and soak in 2-3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add cardamom, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the soaked rice, bay leaf, salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pan and cook the rice till it's done and all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork after it has slightly cooled.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a small pan.
- When the ghee is very hot, add cumin seeds and when they starts to crackle, add green chilli and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the ghee over the cooked rice.
- Add coriander and mix well.
- Serve zeera Rice with any curry or dal of your choice