Crispy on the outside and tender from inside, Air Fryer Eggplant is a delicious low-cal side dish or snack that you can make in under 30 minutes. Here is how!
About This Recipe
Air Fryer Eggplant is a delicious side dish or snack where eggplant slices or wedges are coated with breadcrumbs and air fried until crispy from outside.
These golden eggplants fried in air fryer are very delicious and can be served as a side dish or as a snack. These are low in calories, packed with flavor, come together in under 30 minutes, and have a fabulous texture.
These are so addictive, even the eggplant haters will love them.
Eggplant – The big purple eggplant works great for this recipe. Make sure it doesn’t have too many seeds.
You can also choose two small eggplants in place of one large.
Make sure that the eggplant is a little firm and has smooth skin. Avoid the ones with blemishes or brown spots.
Seasoned Bread Crumbs – Choosing seasoned bread crumbs will give you a more flavorful crust. If you have regular breadcrumbs, you can season them with salt, pepper, and cayenne and use them in the recipe.
Parmesan Cheese – You can either buy grated parmesan cheese or grate a slab yourself at home.
Seasoning – I have used a combination of Italian seasoning and garlic powder which happens to be my favorite. You can also add red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper for a little heat.
Eggs – Eggs will help the crust to stick to the eggplants. If you want to avoid eggs, you can swap them with buttermilk.
Flour – All-purpose flour forms a crispy crust on the eggplant making them super addictive.
Cooking spray – Choose a high smoking point oil spray such as olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
How To Make Air Fryer Eggplant
Wash the eggplant and discard ½ inch of top and bottom. Cut it into equal side wedges.
Toss the eggplant wedges with 1 teaspoon salt and let them sit for 15 minutes.
While eggplant is sitting, combine ¾ cups seasoned bread crumbs, 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder in a medium mixing bowl or a shallow plate.
Whisk 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon water in a medium mixing bowl.
Transfer ¼ cup all-purpose flour into a shallow plate.
Transfer the eggplant wedges to a clean dishcloth and pat them dry.
Make a breading station with flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
Using one of your hands, dredge one wedge into the flour and shake off the excess flour. Dip the wedge into the egg using your other hand and then finally press the wedge into the breadcrumbs using your dry hand until it is nicely coated on all the sides.
Prepare all the wedges in the same manner.
Arrange the wedges on the basket of the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry in batches and do not overload the basket.
Tip – I like to line the basket with aluminum foil to make the clean-up easier. Make sure to leave some space on the sides for the air circulation.
Spray the wedges with cooking spray.
Cook for 10 minutes at 380 degrees F.
Flip the wedges using a tong and spray with oil on the other side.
Air fry for another 10 minutes until crispy and browned.
Serve warm with a dipping sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make it without breading, just coat the eggplant slices with a mixture of parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder. Spray with oil and air fry until crisp.
Yes, although spraying a little oil gives you much better results, you can surely omit the oil in this recipe. The air fryer will give you crispy eggplant slices without oil too.
Pro Tips By Neha
Cut the eggplant into equally thick wedges. Even size pieces will ensure even cooking.
Do not slice the eggplants very thin or very thick. It should be thick enough to hold the crust. If they are too thin, they might get burned and if they are too thick, it will take a longer time to cook them throughly.
Salting the eggplant helps to draw the moisture from the vegetable making it crispy after air frying. It also seasons the eggplants from inside and enhances their flavor. Do not skip this process.
Play with the seasonings and make different variations.
These parmesan-crusted eggplants taste the best when served right out of an air fryer. If kept for longer, they tend to become soft and lose all their crispiness.
If you still have some leftovers, then cool them completely and store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in an air fryer at 400 F until they become crisp and are heated completely from inside. Keep an eye, so that they don’t get burnt
You Might Also like
Air Fryer Eggplant Recipe
- 1 large eggplant (or two small)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- Wash the eggplant and discard ½ inch of top and bottom. Cut it into equal side wedges.
- Toss the eggplant wedges with salt and let them sit for 15 minutes.
- While eggplant is sitting, combine seasoned bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a medium mixing bowl or a shallow plate.
- Whisk eggs with 1 tablespoon water in a medium mixing bowl.
- Transfer all-purpose flour into a shallow plate.
- Transfer the eggplant wedges to a clean dishcloth and pat them dry.
- Make a breading station with flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Using one of your hands, dredge one wedge into the flour and shake off the excess flour. Dip the wedge into the egg using your other hand and then finally press the wedge into the breadcrumbs using your dry hand until it is nicely coated on all the sides.
- Prepare all the wedges in the same manner.
- Arrange the wedges on the basket of the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry in batches and do not overload the basket.
- Spray the wedges with cooking spray.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 380 degrees F.
- Flip the wedges using a tong and spray with oil on the other side.
- Air fry for another 10 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Serve warm with a dipping sauce.