Make crispy Air Fryer Tofu in just 10 minutes. It’s vegan, healthy, and tastes just like it’s straight from the deep fryer.
About This Recipe
Wondering how to make the crispiest tofu that tastes incredibly delicious? Then look no further. This Air Fryer Tofu recipe is your savior guys.
In just 10 minutes, you can make the easiest, yummiest tofu at home using simple ingredients. The super crispy texture will amaze you as it uses minimal oil yet gives the feel of deep-fried tofu cubes.
Cooking tofu in the air fryer reduces the cooking time by almost half as compared to an oven. While the oven cooking takes 25 to 30 minutes to cook crispy tofu, it just takes 10 to 12 minutes to make it in an air fryer.
This dish is vegan and can be easily made gluten-free.
Tofu – Use extra firm tofu for this recipe! Avoid using silken tofu or soft tofu as it will break when pressed and is not suitable for this recipe.
I used veggie tofu but you can use plain tofu as well.
Cornstarch – Cornstarch creates a crispy layer on top! It also draws out excess liquid from the tofu.
Seasonings – I have used a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. You can choose the seasonings you like.
Here are some more seasoning options that you can try
- Italian Seasoning
- BBQ Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
Soy Sauce adds a delicious umami flavor to these air-fried tofu cubes. You can use dark soy sauce or light soy sauce.
For a gluten-free version, swap it with tamari or coconut aminos.
Oil – Spraying the tofu with just a little bit of oil makes them extra crispy. I used olive oil but you can use avocado oil or sesame oil too.
Others – add in a little sriracha sauce for a spicy kick. You can also add a little maple syrup or honey (not vegan) for extra sweetness. It also complements soy sauce really well.
How To Make Air Fryer Tofu
Wrap 1 lb (500 g) firm tofu in between a dish towel and press it for at least 15 minutes, using either a tofu press or by setting a heavy pan (I used my marble rolling board) on top of it, letting the moisture drain.
When finished, cut tofu into bite-sized cubes.
In a medium-size bowl, stir together 2 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and 2 teaspoon cornstarch.
Add tofu cubes and coat them well with the sauce.
Place the tofu cubes in the basket of your air fryer in a single row with a little bit of space around each piece.
Spray the tofu cubes with light olive oil.
Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the basket and flip the tofu upside down. Spray with olive oil once again.
Cook for another 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley or green onions and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tofu could turn out soggy due to two main reasons.
1. There is a lot of moisture in tofu. Make sure to press the tofu well before air frying it.
2. Cooking at low temperature. Always cook the tofu at a high temperature to get crispy skin.
Just avoid adding cornstarch, and prepare the marinade with the remaining ingredients.
Pro Tips By Neha
Season the tofu well otherwise it will just taste bland.
Do not forget to press the tofu to remove the excess moisture. You can either use a tofu presser or something heavy (I press it with my marble rolling board).
Do not overload the basket. If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, cook in batches.
Each air fryer is different and the cooking time may vary depending on the efficiency of the air fryer. My tofu cooked to perfection in 10 minutes but if yours is still not crispy, increase the time by a few more minutes.
Switch up the seasonings for different varieties every time you make this crispy tofu.
- Serve these crispy tofu cubes with a delicious creamy sauce of your choice! They make a great party appetiser as well as snack with your evening tea/coffee. Some of my favorite dipping sauces are yum yum sauce, boom boom sauce and
- Add them to salads to add a nice crispy bite.
- They are a great addition to rice bowls or buddha bowls.
- Top over shakshuka for added protein.
- Add them to fried rice, noodles or stir fry recipes.
These tofu cubes taste the best when served right out of the air fryer. Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container for about 4 days. Reheat them in an air fryer at 375 degrees F for a few minutes. Keep an eye so that they don’t get burnt.
I will not suggest you freeze it, as tofu will change the taste and texture once it is thawed.
Meal Plan Tip – If you are prepping ahead of time, cut the tofu cubes and store them in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Similarly, you can prepare the marinade and store in the container for 3-4 days.
You Might Also Like
Air Fryer Tofu Recipe
- 1 pound extra firm tofu (500 g)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (light or dark, use tamari for gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- light olive oil (for spraying)
- Wrap tofu in between a dish towel and press it for at least 15 minutes, using either a tofu press or by setting a heavy pan (I used my marble rolling board) on top of it, letting the moisture drain.
- When finished, cut tofu into bite-sized cubes.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and cornstarch.
- Add tofu cubes and coat them well with the sauce.
- Place the tofu cubes in the basket of your air fryer in a single row with a little bit of space around each piece.
- Spray the tofu cubes with light olive oil.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the basket and flip the tofu upside down. Spray with olive oil once again.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley or green onions and serve hot.