Make this detox Green Apple Spinach Smoothie in just 5 minutes using simple ingredients. This green smoothie is made with no added sugar and can be served for breakfast, post-workout, or evening snacks.
Here are some more healthy smoothie recipes that you may like – Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie, Cantaloupe Smoothie, Strawberry Spinach Smoothie, Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie, Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, and Beet Smoothie.
About This Recipe
Green Apple Spinach Smoothie is a creamy green smoothie that is a delicious blend of spinach, green apples, banana, ground flax seeds, and water.
It is an easy and quick recipe, that gets ready in just 5 minutes. Just add all the ingredients to a powerful blender and blend until it is smooth and creamy.
This detox spinach and apple smoothie with no added sugar is sweet and tart in taste and can be enjoyed for breakfast, snacks, or a guilt-free dessert.
If you are making it for your pre or post-workout snack, then add in a scoop or two of vanilla protein powder to it.
You can meal prep this recipe too. Make a big batch and refrigerate it in mason jars. Just grab one jar on busy days for a quick breakfast or healthy snack.
This smoothie requires just 5 main ingredients – raw spinach, green apple, banana, yogurt, and ground flax seeds.
Spinach – Use regular spinach or baby spinach to make this smoothie recipe. Keep in consideration that baby spinach is less bitter than regular spinach.
You can also replace spinach with other leafy greens like kale or beetroot leaves.
Apple – I like to use Granny Smith’s green apple as it gives a nice tangy-sweet taste to the smoothie that compliments the taste of spinach.
You can use sweet red apple too. It will make the smoothie sweeter and less tangy.
Banana – Banana makes the smoothie creamier. I freeze bananas in bulk and use frozen bananas to make my smoothie.
Ground flax seeds – Add in some ground flaxseed to make the smoothie even more nutritious. I roast and grind a big batch at home in my coffee grinder and refrigerate it to use in my recipes.
Yogurt – Add some plain yogurt to make the smoothie creamy and filling. You can also use Greek yogurt in place of plain yogurt.
Water – It is added to thin down the consistency of the smoothie.
If you want to make the smoothie creamier, then replace water with whole milk or dairy-free milk options such as almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk.
Add sugar, honey, or maple syrup if you like the smoothie sweeter. You can also few seedless Medjool dates to sweeten the smoothie.
You can also replace water with coconut water, apple juice, pineapple juice, or orange juice.
While serving, top it with chia seeds, hemp seeds, or flax seeds for added nutrition.
Add healthy fat to this smoothie like peanut butter, pistachio butter, or avocado.
Fresh ginger, mint leaves, cucumber etc can also be added to this green smoothie recipe.
Spinach Health Benefits
Spinach is one of those green leafy vegetables that are rich in Dietary Fibers, Iron, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B. Due to these nutrients, it has many health benefits such as,
- It prevents certain types of cancers.
- Great for diabetic people, as it controls blood sugar levels.
- It is considered great for your bone health due to its calcium properties. So if you want strong bones, include spinach in your daily diet.
- It is considered great for your skin and eyes.
- Also, a great ingredient to include in your diet if you are on a weight loss journey.
Green Apple Health Benefits
- It is high in fiber, which keeps the liver and digestive system healthy.
- Green apple is aid to improve the blood circulation in the body, which prevents heart diseases.
- It also has an amazing ability to heal blood clots, as green apple is rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin B6.
- A rich source of Vitamin C, which keeps your skin healthy.
- It is also rich in Calcium, thus it is great for bones.
How To Make Green Apple Spinach Smoothie
Peel 1 large banana and cut it into slices. Freeze it for 3-4 hours. If you have forgotten to freeze the banana, then add 2-3 ice cubes while blending.
Rinse 1 cup of spinach (tightly packed) and drain well.
Rinse 1 granny smith apple. Core and cut it into small pieces. You can choose to keep the skin on or peel it. I personally like to keep the skin on as it is loaded with nutrients.
Tip – Chop the apple only when ready to use it otherwise it will turn black from oxidation.
Gather the remaining ingredients.
Make The Smoothie
Add spinach, Granny Smith apple, banana, 1 teaspoon ground flax seeds, 1 cup chilled water, and ½ cup plain yogurt to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the smoothie into 2 serving glasses and garnish with apple slices or edible flowers. Serve chilled.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not have to cook the spinach! Just add in the raw greens. If you are worried about the raw and bitter taste of greens, then do not worry, the fruits will overpower the bitter taste of spinach.
The best way to freeze bananas is to peel them, then cut them into ½ inch slices. Arrange the slices on a baking tray in a single layer and freeze for 4-5 hours. Then collect the frozen slices in a ziplock bag and freeze for 3-4 months.
Add the flax seeds to a pan and dry roast for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and let the seeds cool completely. Add the cooled seeds to a grinder and grind to make a smooth powder.
Apple and spinach smoothie tastes great when served fresh! But if you have leftovers, store them in a mason jar or a covered glass jar in the fridge and consume them within a day. Stir well before serving.
You Might Also Like
Green Apple Spinach Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup spinach (tightly packed)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (or red apple)
- 1 large banana
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Peel the banana and cut it into slices. Freeze it for 3-4 hours. If you have forgotten to freeze the banana, then add 2-3 ice cubes while blending.
- Rinse spinach (tightly packed) and drain well.
- Rinse Granny Smith apple. Core and cut it into small pieces. You can choose to keep the skin on or peel it. I personally like to keep the skin on as it is loaded with nutrients.
- Tip – Chop the apple only when ready to use it otherwise it will turn black from oxidation.
- Gather the remaining ingredients.
Make The Smoothie
- Add spinach, Granny Smith apple, banana, ground flax seeds, water, and yogurt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into 2 serving glasses and garnish with apple slices or edible flowers. Serve chilled.