Make this detox Green Apple Spinach Smoothie in just 5 minutes using simple ingredients. This green smoothie is made with no added sugar and can be served for breakfast, post-workout, or evening snacks (vegetarian, gluten-free).
About Apple Spinach Smoothie
Green Apple Spinach Smoothie is a creamy green smoothie that is a delicious blend of spinach, green apples, bananas, ground flax seeds, and water.
It is an easy and quick recipe that gets ready in just 5 minutes. Add all the ingredients to a powerful blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
This detox spinach and apple smoothie with no added sugar is sweet and tart and can be enjoyed for breakfast, snacks, or a guilt-free dessert.
Add a scoop or two of vanilla protein powder if you are making it for your pre-or post-workout snack.
You can meal prep this recipe too. Make a big batch and refrigerate it in mason jars. Just grab one jar on busy days for a quick breakfast or healthy snack.
Here are some more healthy smoothie recipes
- Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
- Cantaloupe Smoothie
- Strawberry Spinach Smoothie
- Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Beet Smoothie
- Sunrise Sunset Smoothie
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- Blueberry Bliss Tropical Smoothie
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
Spinach – Use regular spinach or baby spinach to make this smoothie recipe. Keep in consideration that baby spinach is less bitter than regular spinach.
You can replace spinach with other leafy greens like kale, swiss chard, or beetroot leaves.
Apple – I like to use Granny Smith’s green apple as it gives a nice tangy-sweet taste to the smoothie that compliments the taste of spinach.
You can use sweet red apples too. It will make the spinach apple banana smoothie sweeter and less tangy.
Banana – Banana makes the smoothie creamier. I freeze bananas in bulk and use frozen bananas to make my smoothie.
Ground flax seeds – Add some ground flaxseed to make the smoothie even more nutritious. I roast and grind a big batch at home in my coffee grinder and refrigerate it to use in my recipes.
Yogurt – Add some plain yogurt to make the smoothie creamy and filling. You can also use Greek yogurt in place of plain yogurt.
Water – It is added to thin down the consistency of the smoothie.
If you want to make the smoothie creamier, then replace water with whole milk or dairy-free milk options such as almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.
Add sugar, honey, or maple syrup if you like the smoothie sweeter. You can also use a few seedless Medjool dates to sweeten the smoothie.
You can also replace water with coconut water, apple juice, pineapple juice, or orange juice.
While serving, top it with chia seeds, hemp seeds, or flax seeds for added nutrition.
Add healthy fat to this smoothie, like peanut butter, almond butter, pistachio butter, or avocado.
Fresh ginger, mint leaves, cucumber, etc., can also be added to this green smoothie recipe.
Add other fruits like pineapple, mangoes, or berries like strawberries, blueberries, etc.
Spinach Health Benefits
Spinach is one of those green leafy vegetables rich in Dietary fiber, Iron, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin B. Due to these nutrients, it has many health benefits such as,
- It prevents certain types of cancers.
- Great for diabetic people, as it controls blood sugar levels.
- It is considered great for your bone health due to its calcium properties. So if you want strong bones, include spinach in your daily diet.
- It is considered great for your skin and eyes.
- Also, a great ingredient to include in your diet if you are on a weight loss journey.
Green Apple Health Benefits
- It is high in fiber, which keeps the liver and digestive system healthy.
- Green apples aid in improving blood circulation in the body, which prevents heart diseases.
- It also has an amazing ability to heal blood clots, as green apple is rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin B6.
- A rich source of Vitamin C, which keeps your skin healthy.
- It is also rich in Calcium. Thus it is great for bones.
How To Make Green Apple Spinach Smoothie
Peel 1 large banana and cut it into slices. Freeze it for 3-4 hours. If you have forgotten to freeze the banana, add 2-3 ice cubes while blending.
Rinse 1 cup of spinach (tightly packed) and drain well. You can use a salad spinner to drain the water.
Rinse 1 granny smith apple. Core and cut it into small pieces. You can choose to keep the skin on or peel it. I like to keep the skin on as it is loaded with nutrients.
Tip – Chop the apple only when ready to use it; otherwise, it will turn black from oxidation.
Gather the remaining ingredients.
Make The Smoothie
- 1 cup spinach (rinsed, drained, and tightly packed)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (cored and cut into pieces)
- 1 large banana (peeled, sliced, and frozen)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup chilled water
- ½ cup plain yogurt
to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
Add more water if you want a thinner smoothie.
Check for sweeteer and add if needed.
Pour the smoothie into 2 serving glasses and garnish with apple slices or edible flowers. Serve chilled.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not have to cook the spinach! Just add in the raw greens. If you are worried about the raw and bitter taste of greens, do not worry; the fruits will overpower the bitter taste of spinach.
The best way to freeze bananas is to peel them and then cut them into ½-inch slices. Arrange the slices on a baking tray in a single layer and freeze for 4-5 hours. Then collect the frozen slices in a ziplock bag and freeze them for 3-4 months.
Add the flax seeds to a pan and dry roast for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and let the seeds cool completely. Add the cooled seeds to a grinder and grind to make a smooth powder.
To make it vegan, replace Greek yogurt with plant-based yogurt (vegan yogurt) like soy yogurt, cashew yogurt, etc.
Apple and spinach smoothie tastes great when served fresh! But if you have leftovers, store them in a mason jar or a covered glass jar in the fridge and consume them within a day. Stir well before serving.
You Might Also Like
Green Apple Spinach Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup spinach (rinsed, drained and, tightly packed)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (or red apple, cored and chopped)
- 1 large banana (peeled, sliced and frozen)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more water if the smoothie is thick for your liking.
- Check for sweeteners and add if needed.
- Pour the smoothie into 2 serving glasses and garnish with apple slices or edible flowers. Serve chilled.