Beetroot Pachadi is a chutney style dish of beetroot which is an integral part of Onam Sadya. It is quite easy to make and goes well with steamed rice. Here is how to make it.
Onam Sadya is a traditional spread of Vegetarian dishes served on a banana leaf on the 10th day of Onam.
The entire family sits together and has their lunch which consists of 16-64 different dishes.
I was recently invited to a Pre Onam lunch at a friend’s house and got motivated to make the sadya at home and share the recipes on the blog.
I have already shared a few in the past days and will be sharing a few more in the upcoming days.
For now, it’s Kerala style Beet Root Pachadi which is grated beets cooked with coconut, ginger, curry leaves, and yogurt.
It’s a simple recipe and can be made in just no time but tastes great.
In case you are a big-time fan of pineapples like me then you could try the variation of Beetroot Pachadi that is Pineapple Pachadi as well. Or this Vendakka Pachadi.
Do give it a try, here’s its super easy and interesting recipe:
What is Pachadi?
Pachadi refers to South Indian side dish which is like a Raita or a Chutney.
It can be made using a variety of vegetables and can be served as a side dish with Sambar and Rice.
Beetroot Pachadi is traditionally served with rice and sambar as a side dish. But you can be creative and use it as a dip with your crackers.
This can also be paired with a Dal Rice meal or with rasam rice. I also like to pair it with plain parathas.
You might also like
How to make it Step by Step
Add beetroot, salt, and water in a pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, until beetroot is cooked.
Add coconut, green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and garlic in a blender and grind to make a smooth paste. Use little water if required to make the paste.
Add it in the pan along with beetroot and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pan from heat and let cool. Once the beetroot is cooled, add whisked yogurt and mix well.
For the tadka, heat coconut oil in a small pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and dry red chilies. Fry for a few seconds. Pour the tadka over the beetroot pachadi.
Beetroot Pachadi Recipe
- 2 cups Beetroot (Finely Grated)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- 1 Green chilli (Chopped)
- ½ inch Ginger (Grated)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3-4 cloves Garlic (Chopped)
- ½ cup Yogurt
For the Tadka
- 2 tablespoon Coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 3-4 Dry red chilies
- Add beetroot, salt and water in a pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, until beet root is cooked.
- Add coconut, green chilli, ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and garlic in a blender and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Use little water if required to make the paste.
- Add it in the pan along with beet root and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
- Once the beetroot is cooled, add whisked yogurt and mix well.
For the tadka
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies.
- Fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the tadka over the beetroot pachadi.
- Serve with steamed rice, rasam and sambhar.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!