We all know that, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, because you are breaking your fast after a full night of sleep with it. But most of us tend to skip it or have something which is quick and non filling because of our busy schedules and hectic mornings.
But what if I say, I have delicious recipe for you, that is quick, easy and most importantly delicious.
Yes, I am taking about Crepe, a popular Breakfast dish that originated from Brittany, a region in the northwest of France. It is made with all purpose flour or whole wheat flour. You can make both the variations of this crepe, sweet and savoury.
Learn how to make this quick and easy homemade Crepe Recipe which will get ready under 20 minutes. If you like Pancakes, you will love this thinner version of it. Here is how to make French Crepe Recipe.
What is a Crepe?
Crepe, a French street food staple, is a thin crusted Pancake which is popular served for Breakfast. This crispy yet tender crepe can be dressed up with sweet or savoury toppings and any number of flavourful fillings. You can always experiment the fillings too, and serve it just like you want.
Making a French Crepe is very easy as it needs only few ingredients such as All Purpose Flour/Whole Wheat Flour, Eggs, Unsalted Butter, Milk, Water and Salt.
If you are making a sweet crepe, just add Vanilla Extract and Sugar too along with the above ingredients, but if you are making a savoury crepe, add salt and fresh herbs instead of sugar and vanilla extract.
To make this easy Crepe recipe without eggs, you can use Vegetable Oil as a substitute for eggs.
You can serve sweet Crepes as a dessert after your Continental meals for your Brunch or Weekend meals. You can also make a Crepe Cake by layering Crepes on one another and fill it with delicious spreads and fresh fruits.
What is the difference between a Crepe and a Pancake?
Crepe and Pancake, both are Breakfast recipes that is popular all over the world but there is a slight difference in both of them. The batter for both of these has a slight variation. Pancake’s batter has a raising agent such as Baking Soda or Baking Powder, which makes the pancakes thicker and fluffy when compared to Crepes.
Whereas on the other side, Crepes does not have any raising agent in their batter, which makes them thinner and flat.
What can you serve it with?
This is one of my favourite parts about making a crepe for breakfast, that is what to serve it with? Here are some of the ways you can serve your Breakfast Crepes:
- Serve the sweet Crepes along with simple syrups like Honey, Maple Syrup or Chocolate Syrup and Castor Sugar to keep it simple and basic.
- Serve the sweet Crepes along with spreads such as Chocolate Spread, Almond Spread, Nutella, Caramel Sauce or Fruit Compotes.
- Serve the sweet Crepes along with the above Syrups and Spreads and Fresh Fruits of your choice such as Strawberry, Banana, Blueberry, Mango etc .
- Serve the savoury Pancakes on its own with a dollop of Butter or melted cheese.
- Serve the savoury Pancakes along with Vegetable stuffings such as Mushroom, Baby Corn, Spinach etc.
How does Crepe taste like?
Crepe, a famous French Breakfast recipe tastes like Pancakes but are thinner and crispier. It has less of a sweet taste and more of a subtle egg taste. To give it more flavour and taste, it is dressed up with sweet and savoury fillings.
Which pan to use to make Crepe?
You can use Non Stick Crepe Pan, Cast Iron Crepe Pan, Ceramic Crepe Pan or Stainless Steel Skillet to make those perfect Crepes. While you can easily make Crepes in these pans, you will need a little practise to make it perfectly in the Stainless Steel Skillet.
How to make Vegan Crepe?
If you want to avoid Eggs and Milk to make your Crepe, you can follow this Vegan Crepe Recipe.
Ingredients required to make a Vegan Crepe:
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Soy Milk or Almond Milk
- Olive Oil
- Vanilla Extract
Mix all the ingredients except oil in a mixing bowl. Heat a non stick skillet and coat with oil if needed. Spread your batter and cook from both the sides until they turn slightly brown in colour. Your Vegan Crepes are ready to be served along with your favourite dressing.
How long can you store Crepe Batter?
You can store freshly made Crepe Batter in fridge for about 24 hours in an air tight container. Make sure you take out the batter and cook it only when it reaches the room temperature.
Best Crepe Recipe
Best Crepe Recipe
Best Crepe Recipe is a delicious, sweet or savoury variation of your favourite crepes. Bookmark its recipe and prepare them this weekend!
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter Melted
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For Sweet Crepes
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Sugar Optional
For Savoury Crepes
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh herbs Finely chopped
- Add flour, eggs, butter, milk, water and salt in the jar of a blender and blend well.
- If making sweet crepes, add vanilla and sugar and mix well.
- If making savoury crepes, add the additional salt and herbs and blend well.
- Cover the batter and keep side for 30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan.
- Brush the pan with butter.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the centre of the pan and swirl the pan to spread a thin layer of better in the pan.
- Cook for 40-50 seconds and then flip the crepe and cook for another 20-25 seconds.
- Fill with your choice of filling.
- Serve hot.