Bharwa Bhindi is lady’s fingers stuffed with a tangy and spicy masala mix. It is easy to make, vegan, and gluten-free. Here is how to make it.
Everyday food for us is usually a dal, a dry sabzi, salad, and roti.
With the variations that can be done with dry sabzies and dal, it’s almost a new menu every day.
Bhindi is a vegetable which everyone in the family loves and so it frequents the lunch table quite often.
The stuffing in this recipe is a simple mix of everyday masalas with dry mango powder giving a characteristic tangy flavor.
Here is how to make this delicious recipe.
What is Bharwa Bhindi?
It is a Punjabi dish which is nothing but stuffed Okra.
It can be stuffed with dry spices and cooked in little oil or the stuffed okra can be cooked with an onion and tomato masala to make Bharwa Bhindi Masala.
This dish is an Indian favorite and can be made at home using basic ground spices.
Bharwan Bhindi with Besan
To make stuffed bhindi with besan, 2 tbsp of roasted besan is added to the spice mix and stuffed in the bhindi.
The bhindi is then cooked as mentioned below.
Bharwa Bhindi Masala (With Onion Tomato Masala)
- Stuff the bhindi as mentioned in the recipe below.
- Cook it as mentioned in the recipe below.
- Add another 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Now add onion, ginger and garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes until onion turns translucent.
- Add green chillies and tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked bhindi and mix well.
- Cook for a minute on low flame.
- Serve hot.
You can make Bharwa Bhindi Masala as mentioned above.
Bharwa bhindi with Besan is another option.
Add ¼ cup of desiccated dry coconut in the filling for a different taste.
You can also add crushed groundnut or a mixture of groundnut and coconut in the stuffing too.
Roasted sesame seeds powder also taste great in the filling.
Pro Tips by Neha
Make sure to wipe the bhindi well before stuffing it otherwise the dish will become soggy.
Use a big shallow pan to layer the bhindi and always layer them in a single layer. You can even use a dosa tawa to make stuffed bhindi.
Cook the bhindi open. Do not cover the pan.
Turn the bhindi after every 2-3 minutes until they are done. It will take approx 15 20 minutes for the bhindi to get cooked properly.
Cook the bhindi on low heat.
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the bhindi and wipe them with a kitchen towel. Make a slit in each bhindi lengthwise keeping the end intact. Keep the bhindi aside for 20-30 minutes for all the moisture to evaporate.
Mix coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, garam masala powder and salt in a bowl.
Add 1 tbsp of oil in this mixture and mix well.
Stuff all the bhindi generously with this spice mix.
Heat 4 tbsp oil in a large pan.
Arrange the stuffed bhindi in the pan in a single layer. Cook the bhindi on low heat until it’s done.
Keep flipping the bhindi after every 2-3 minutes for even cooking. It will take around 15 minutes for the bhindi to cook properly.
Once the bhindi is cooked, drizzle lemon juice on top and mix well. Serve hot.
Bharwa Bhindi Recipe
- 500 g Bhindi / Lady's fingers / Okra
- 4 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1+4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Wash the bhindi and wipe them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Remove the cap and the thin bottom part.
- Make a slit in the bhindi lengthwise.
- Mix all the dry masalas in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp mustard oil in the masala and mix well.
- Stuff the dry masala mixture in the slit made in bhindi.
- Stuff all the bhindies in the same manner.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottom shallow pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the stuffed bhindies and arrange them in a single layer
- Keep turning the bhindi after every 2-3 minutes until they are done.
- Keep the heat to low and let bhindi cook on very low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle lemon juice on top.
- Serve hot with parathas or Dal and Roti.