Bread Dahi Vada is an easy to make Indian appetizer dish where the classic Dahi vada is given a twist. The center of this style dahi vada comes soft every time. Here is how to make it.
Get soft and pillowy dahi vada with a soft center each time using this Bread Dahi Vada recipe.
I remember relishing over the Dahi Vadas all day long during my childhood, especially during Holi.
I loved them so much, that I often used to demand them at home.
So when I got married, I tried making these delicious recipe at home, but my Vadas didn’t turn out soft from the centre like my mother’s vada.
And that’s when I came across this recipe, BREAD DAHI VADA.
In this recipe, bread is used in the centre to get that soft texture and when I tried it, my Dahi Vadas turned out soft and spongy.
Though after a few trails, I can make perfect Dahi Vadas now, I still like to make the dahi vada this way.
So I thought why not share this easy technique of making Dahi Vadas with you too.
What is Bread Dahi Vada?
It is an interesting twist to the regular Dahi Vada, where bread is used to make the vadas along with lentils.
The bread slices are soaked from the sides and then stuffed with the flavoured lentil batter, and folded to make a ball.
These balls are then deep fried and then soaked in water just for 5 minutes.
Do not soak them for more than 5 minutes, as the bread will become soggy.
The vadas are then topped with slightly sweetened dahi, tamarind chutney, cumin powder, red chilli powder, fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds.
How to make Instant Bread Dahi Vada?
This popular street food recipe is delicious, but it also takes some time and effort to make.
All that pre soaking and grinding of the vadas. It’s a sweet labour but the result is just mouth watering.
In case, you don’t have time for all the effort and still craving for Dahi Vadas, then you can make Instant Bread Dahi Vada.
To make the vada, you just have to soak the bread in a little milk or water, so that it becomes soft.
Add in little yogurt, sooji, dry fruits and mash it with your hands.
Keep it aside for 5 minutes and mash it again.
Your batter for Instant Dahi Vadas are ready.
You can deep fry them or make these Vadas in paniyaram pan.
How to make No Fry Dahi Vada?
Well, if you do not want to deep fry your Dahi Vada, you can pan fry them in a Paniyaram Pan instead to give it a healthy twist.
Just brush your panorama pan with a little oil and spoon in the vada batter.
Cook them from all the sides till they become nice and crisp.
Once they are cooked properly, soak them in water for a minute and then take out immediately.
Squeeze out excess water, put them on serving plate and top with chilled yogurt, tamarind chutney, salt, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander leaves, pomegranates and enjoy.
Step By Step Recipe
Wash and soak urad dal and moong dal in enough water for 6-8 hours. Drain nicely.
Add soaked dal, ginger, green chilli, baking soda, water, salt and hing in the jar of a blender.
Blend together to make a smooth paste.
Take out the paste in a bowl and whisk it with a spoon or your hand till it is light and fluffy. It will take 5-6 minutes.
Cut the corners of the bread slices.
Mix the ingredients of the filling in a bowl.
Keep a bread slice on your palm and slightly wet it with water from both the sides.
Keep a small amount of filling in the centre and bring back the ends and make a round.
Slightly press the round. Repeat the process with all the bread slices.
Heat oil in a pan. Dip the bread vadas in the dal batter. Slightly wet your palms and take out the vada on your palm.
Shape it with your fingers and drop it in hot oil.
Simmer the heat. Fry all the vadas till golden brown on medium heat. Remove the vadas on a plate lined with kitchen towel.
For soaking the vada:
Mix all the ingredients for soaking the vadas in a big bowl.
Once all the vadas are fried and you are ready to serve, just soak them in this mixture for 5 minutes. Do not over soak as the bread inside will become soggy.
For serving the vada:
Take out the vada from the soaking mixture. Gently press it between your palms.
Arrange them on a serving plate.
Whisk curd with black salt and sugar.
Pour the curd over the vadas. Pour the tamarind chutney on top. Sprinkle roasted cumin powder and red chilli powder. Garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds. Serve chilled.
Bread Dahi Vada Recipe
For the vada
- 8 Bread slices
- ½ cup Dhuli Urad Dal
- 2 tablespoon Dhuli Moong Dal
- ½ inch Ginger (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Green chilli (Chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Hing
- Oil for frying
For the stuffing of vada
- 1 tablespoon Grated dry coconut
- 1 tablespoon Broken cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
- ½ tablespoon Pistachios (Chopped)
For soaking the vada
- 3 cups Water
- ½ cup Curd
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Hing
For the topping
- 2 cups Fresh curd (Chilled)
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Tamarind chutney
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon Fresh coriander (Chopped)
- 2 tsbp Pomegranate seeds
- Wash and soak urad dal and moong dal in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain nicely.
- Add soaked dal, ginger, green chilli, baking soda, water, salt and hing in the jar of a blender and blend together to make a coarse paste.
- Take out the paste in a bowl and whisk it with a spoon or your hand till it is light and fluffy.
- It will take 5-6 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients of the filling in a bowl.
- Cut the corners of the bread slices.
- Keep a bread slice on your palm and slightly wet it with water from both the sides.
- Keep a small amount of filling in the center and bring back the ends and make a round.
- Slightly press the round.
- Repeat the process with all the bread slices.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Dip the bread vadas in the dal batter.
- Slightly wet your palms and take out the vada on your palm.
- Shape it with your fingers and drop it in hot oil.
- Simmer the heat.
- Fry all the vadas till golden brown on medium heat.
- Remove the vadas on a plate lined with kitchen towel.
- Mix all the ingredients for soaking the vadas in a big bowl.
- Once all the vadas are fried and you are ready to serve, just soak them in this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Do not over soak as the bread inside will become soggy.
- Take out the vada from the soaking mixture.
- Gently press it between your palms.
- Arrange them on a serving plate.
- Whisk curd with black salt and sugar.
- Pour the curd over the vadas.
- Pour the tamarind chutney on top.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin powder and red chili powder.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve chilled.
Looks really delicious. Am a huge fan of chaat, and this is mouth watering. Happy Holi!
What a great idea! Lovely post and pics as usual:-)
What an amazing twist to the classic dahi vade! So glad I visited your blog; you have a lovely blog and your food photographs are beautiful.
wow very delicious dahi vada with bread 🙂 looks super yummy and tempting !! I love your food styling a lot !! your pics rock 🙂
Love the clicks.yummy recipe 🙂