Festivals are round the corner and it is the time when I soak my fruits and nuts for preparing various desserts. I usually used to buy Candied Orange Peel readymade. This time, I decided to give it a try at home and trust me, it came much better than the store bought ones and at absolutely no cost. My son loved eating Candied Orange Peel. For making, these delicious treats all you need is a cup of sugar. I have already made Candied Ginger and shared it in another post. These can be used in the preparation of Christmas Fruit Cake or as a filling in a variety of Christmas sweets and desserts as well.
As kids do not like eating desi sweets, making an altogether different sweet like Candied Orange Peel is a really good idea. Tangy, chewy from the interior and full of sugary exterior, Candied Orange Peel was loved by adults and elderly people of my family as well. If you are tempted to prepare Candied Orange Peel then do read my step-by-step guide for making Candied Orange Peel at home:
Candied Orange Peel
Candied Orange Peel
- Naval oranges - 2
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Castor sugar - 1/2 cup for rolling the peel
- Wash the oranges.
- Pat dry.
- Remove the skin from the oranges.
- Remove any pith or pulp that is attached to the skin.
- Cut it into thin stripes.
- Add the stripes in a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Simmer the heat for 2 minutes.
- Strain and discard the water.
- Repeat the process 2 more times.
- Heat 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a pan.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the orange peel.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes till the peel turns translucent.
- Do not stir during this process otherwise their will be crystallization.
- Strain the syrup and store it for future use. ( iced tea or any other drink )
- Roll the peel in castor sugar.
- Arrange on a wire rack and let dry for 6-8 hours.
- Store in an airtight container.