Chettinad Fish Fry is a classic fish recipe from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. This snack or appetiser dish is perfect to serve your guests. Here is how to make fish fry in Chettinad Style.
Chettinad area in Tamil Nadu is known for its delicious cuisine which uses a lot of spices. The preparation of the recipes is simple and the presentation basic but what makes this cuisine stand out is the flavor that comes through the dishes due to liberal use of pepper and other spices.
Chettinad Fish Fry is one of the popular recipes from the Chettinad cuisine. It is fairly easy to make yet very high on flavors. Just like Chettinad Fish Fry, often chicken can be flavoured in Chettinad style. Some time back, I had prepared Chicken Chettinad and Chettinad Pepper Chicken Masala which turned out to be equally scrumptious.
Sometimes, for parties or BFF meet, you could plan a menu that serves Chettinad dishes. Once I had hosted a dinner and served all the Chettinad dishes, not only the guests enjoyed the flavourful Chettinad Fish Fry but they all literally were not running out of praise.
On the weekends, relishing Chettinad Fish Fry and a plateful of rice would not be a bad idea, you see! Rush now to the kitchen and prepare delicious Chettinad Fish Fry for the coming weekend!
Chettinad Fish Fry Recipe
Chettinad Fish Fry
Chettinad Fish Fry is a classic fish recipe from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. This snack or appetiser dish is perfect to serve your guests.
- 300 g Fish slices I used Seer Fish
- 4-5 Pearl onions
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Zeera / Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Saunf / Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Kalimirch / Black pepper Freshly grounded
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash the fish nicely and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Mix onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, zeera, saunf, kalimirch and curry leaves in the jar of the blender and blend to make a paste.
- Add very little water only if required.
- Coat this masala over the fish pieces and let it marinate for an hour.
- Heat oil in pan.
- When the oil is hot, add a few curry leaves in the pan.
- Arrange fish slices in the pan and shallow fry till golden brown from both the sides.
- Serve hot with onion slices and lemon wedges.
Are you making this recipe? I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Whiskaffair on Instagram with the hashtag #Whiskaffair and please give a star rating below ★. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more such easy recipes.