Chettinad Fish Fry is a classic fish recipe from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. This snack or appetizer dish is perfect to serve your guests. Here is how to make fish fry in Chettinad Style.
About this recipe
Chettinad area in Tamil Nadu is known for its delicious cuisine which uses a lot of spices. The preparation of the recipes is simple and the presentation basic but what makes this cuisine stand out is the flavor that comes through the dishes due to liberal use of pepper and other spices.
This fried fish is one of the popular recipes from the Chettinad cuisine. It is fairly easy to make yet very high on flavors.
Just like this recipe, often chicken can be flavored in Chettinad style. Some time back, I had prepared Chicken Chettinad and Chettinad Pepper Chicken Masala which turned out to be equally scrumptious. Sometimes, for parties or BFF meet, you could plan a menu that serves a platter of Chettinad dishes.
Chettinad Fish Fry
- 300 g Fish slices (I used Seer Fish)
- 4-5 Pearl onions
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Zeera / Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Saunf / Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Kalimirch / Black pepper (Freshly grounded)
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash the fish nicely and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Mix onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, zeera, saunf, kalimirch and curry leaves in the jar of the blender and blend to make a paste.
- Add very little water only if required.
- Coat this masala over the fish pieces and let it marinate for an hour.
- Heat oil in pan.
- When the oil is hot, add a few curry leaves in the pan.
- Arrange fish slices in the pan and shallow fry till golden brown from both the sides.
- Serve hot with onion slices and lemon wedges.