A fried dough pastry popular in Spain, Mexico and United states, my first tryst with this simple and unique dessert was in the US where it was sold in abundance. Any farmer’s market or carnivals most definitely had a stall selling Churros and the smell of the fresh churros getting deep fried lingered in the air making it irresistible for the most people there to go and grab a bite. The long queues before the stalls were the proof enough, how popular this dessert was.
I too had my share of Churros while our stay in the US but it was after coming back to India that I tried making it at home. Surprisingly it is very easy to make and any beginner can do it. All you have to keep in mind is to do the measurements carefully to get a good texture and flavour of the Churros. After a few trials, I have come with a recipe which works every single time I make this at home. Serve it warm with a side of Chocolate dipping sauce. Here is how to make Churros.
Churros with Chocolate Dipping sauce
- Water - 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter - 50 g
- Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Castor sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
- Heat water, butter, brown sugar and salt in a pan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Add flour and baking powder and whisk well to make a dough.
- Cook for a minute till the dough tightens a bit and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove the dough from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Add the egg mixture over the dough and whisk vigorously till well combined.
- Fill the batter in a piping bag fitted with large star shaped nozzle.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan till it is approximately 170 degree C.
- Pipe long and straight churros in the oil.
- Fry till they turn golden brown from both the sides.
- Drain on a plate lined with kitchen tissue.
- Mix castor sugar and cinnamon powder in a plate.
- Coat the churros from this mixture on all the sides.
- Serve hot with Chocolate Fudge Sauce.
Recipe to make Chocolate Dipping Sauce is here.