Cilantro Lime Quinoa is a health and refreshing side dish prepared with quinoa, lime juice, cilantro and a few more simple ingredients. Serve it for breakfast or pack for lunch box. (vegan and gluten free)
If you are looking for more quinoa recipes, then here are some of my tried and tested recipes – Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, Mexican Quinoa, Shrimp Quinoa Fried Rice and Grilled Paneer Quinoa Salad.
About This Recipe
Quinoa is cooked with lemon juice, cilantro and a few more simple ingredients to make this nutritious Cilantro Lime Quinoa. It is vegan, gluten free and comes together in just 15 minutes.
Serve it on its own for breakfast or a light meal or pair it with yogurt, dal or a curry of your choice. It can also be packed for your office lunch box.
Quinoa – You can easily find quinoa in your nearby grocery store. Soak it for about 30 minutes, which makes it easy to digest and faster to cook.
Lemon Juice – Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for a refreshing flavour.
Cilantro – Cilantro adds a refreshing taste and a beautiful pop of green to the quinoa.
Veg Stock – Making quinoa in vegetable stock adds more flavour to it. You can try Vegetable Stock recipe, if you are planning to make it at home.
You can also use water instead of vegetable stock.
Others – It also has garlic, onions and salt.
Quinoa Health Benefits
Quinoa is one of the healthiest ingredients you can include in your everyday meals.
- It is high on fibre and protein, which is really good if you are following a weight loss diet.
- It is enriched with all the nine amino acids, which is considered to be great for your overall health.
- It has a very low glycemic index which helps in keeping blood sugar under control.
- It is gluten free, so people with gluten intolerance can include it in their meals.
- It is high in antioxidants and also has anti inflammatory properties.
Cilantro Lime Quinoa can be served with a simple bowl of yogurt, dal or a curry of your choice for a nutritious meal. You can have it on its own for breakfast with a hot cup of chai or coffee on the side. You can also include it in your buddha or burrito bowls.
Cilantro Lime Quinoa will easily last in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days, when stored in an air tight container. Reheat in a pan or microwave until warm before serving. Sprinkle a little water while reheating to add moisture to the quinoa.
Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (Chopped)
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Veg stock
- 3 tablespoon Cilantro (Chopped)
- Wash the quinoa and soak in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Drain the quinoa and add it in the pan along with lemon juice, salt and veg stock and cover and cook until done on low heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the quinoa rest for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mix gently..
- Serve as a side dish.
What is veg stock
Veg stock is water boiled with vegetables and strained. You can check the recipe here or can buy it. It is available in form of cubes also.