This cheesecake is a decadent dessert, perfect for Christmas and any kind of celebration. It is rich in taste, and when done well is light and fluffy in texture. Here is how to make perfect Classic New York Style Cheesecake.
This creamy and dense Cheesecake is everything dreams are made of! Light and fluffy cream cheese along with buttery wheat crackers base, it just tastes delicious. If you love this as much as I do, then you know what I am talking about.
There are always some days when you should indulge in such delightful treats, where every bite tastes like heaven and this ultimate dessert is one such recipe.
Now-a-days, you will find variety of cheesecakes in bakeries, cafes or restaurants, but why to go and eat them outside, when you can make a delicious one at home, right? So, if you have been looking for the most rich and creamy recipe, this might just be it!
About This Recipe
Light and fluffy, this is a classic dessert with one or more layer which originated from Ancient Greece. It has a thick layer of graham cracker crumbs at the bottom and then the upper part is made from cream cheese. Bake the crust for 10 minutes in the oven before putting the cream cheese mixture on top.
The upper part of the cream cheese is made with cream cheese, eggs, all purpose flour, vanilla extract and heavy cream or sour cream, to add richness and a smooth consistency. Use the electric mixer to get that right consistency.
You can also add one more layer of topping such as Blueberry/Raspberry Compote, Fresh Mangoes/Mango Pulp, Fresh Strawberries/Cherries, Caramel or Chocolate/Nutella to make your cheesecake more flavour full and rich. There are many more options that you can try and experiment with the toppings.
Make sure that you whisk the cream cheese to the right consistency, as it will give you the fluffiest and creamiest version, just like you want it to be.
Once it is baked, let it come to the room temperature, before you devour this satiny and rich dessert.
How to make it in an Instant Pot
You can also make this recipe in an Instant pot or a pressure cooker.
Follow the same process to make it as you will do in a normal oven based recipe. Once you add the cracker and cream cheese mixture in the pan, it is ready to bake in an instant pot.
To bake it in an instant pot, make a foil sling by folding a piece of aluminium foil which will help us to take it out from the instant pot easily.
Add cold water in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Make sure you only fill it to a certain level so that it doesn’t go inside the pan.
Place cheesecake pan on top of a steamer rack. (so that it does not touch the water) with a foil sling. Once done, close the lid of the instant pot and cook it on high for about 30 minutes.
Switch off the gas and let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, take the cake out and keep it aside to cool it down. Once it reaches to the room temperature, slice it and serve.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze it. Once you bake the cheesecake, it stays good in the fridge for about a week, but if you still have some leftover in your fridge, don’t trash it. You can freeze it and it will last for about 4 to 6 weeks.
Just wrap each slice individually in foil or plastic and keep them in heavy freezer bags. You can also freeze the entire preparation. Just cool it in the pan itself and wrap it tightly in a double layer of cling film and then a layer of foil.
So if you have a special occasion or celebration coming up, then do give this recipe a try and I am sure you will love every bite of it.
Classic New York Style Cheesecake
For the Crust
- 2 cups Wheat Crackers (Finely ground)
- 4 tablespoon Melted butter
- 2 tablespoon Granulated sugar
For the CheeseCake
- 900 gms Cream Cheese
- 3 Eggs
- 1 and ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a 10 inch springform pan using butter.
- Cut two large pieces of aluminum foil and lay them in a criss-cross fashion.
- Keep the pan in the middle and fold the edges of the foil up around the sides of the pan.
- Mix finely ground crackers and sugar in a bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Press the crumb mixture at the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan and refrigerate the pan for 10 minutes.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and keep aside.
- Whisk cream cheese and sugar in bowl until light and fluffy ( Approx 3-4 minutes on high speed )
- Add in the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the whisked eggs and Vanilla extract and whisk until nicely combined.
- Add sour cream and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter over the crust.
- Keep the pan inside a baking tray with high edges or a roasting pan.
- Carefully pour boiling water in the baking tray until almost half of the springform pan.
- Bake for 4o minutes or until 2 inch area around the edge looks to be set when gently shaken.
- Reduce the temperature to 160 degrees C and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes until set but still slightly wobbly in the center.
- Turn off the oven and open the door of the oven halfway.
- Let the cake cool inside the oven of an hour.
- Remove the pan and let the cake cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate it uncovered over night.
- To unmould the cake, run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake and then loosen the pan.
- Dip knife in hot water before cutting the cake into slices to give neat slices.
Is there any local substitute for cream cheese and sour cream.
In this recipe, no.