This Bourbon Cranberry Chutney makes for a great accompaniment for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. This homemade spicy chutney laced with Bourbon is a delight to eat.
About This Recipe
Cranberry Chutney is a delicious condiment that can be served along with your main course and appetizers, as it adds a great taste to your dishes.
This chunky and bright, cinnamon-flavored, honey-sweetened chutney is loaded with dried cranberries, bourbon, lime juice, and orange juice.
Cinnamon and Nutmeg are also used to spice up the flavor of this chutney. This tangy, sweet and delicious Cranberry Orange Chutney also has an extra kick of bourbon that makes it extra fun.
You can also try to make it with other Fruits such as Pear, Mango, Apple, Pineapple and I am sure it will come out as good.
This a popular chutney that is specially made during winters, to serve along with Christmas, New Year, and Thanksgiving dinner.
Cranberry Chutney is,
- Easy to make
- Tangy & Sweet
- Popularly made in Winters
Dried Cranberries – This is the star ingredients of Cranberry Chutney. It has a nice sweet and tangy taste which adds to the taste of this chutney.
Orange & Lime – To add more tanginess in this chutney, we will add lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, and orange zest. If you cannot find orange, you can increase the amount of lemon juice and zest.
Bourbon – It adds a hint of vanilla, oak and caramel in the chutney, which is hard to miss.
Honey – To compensate the tanginess, add some honey in the chutney. If not chutney, you can also add in sugar.
Spices – To add a hint of spice, add in ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg. This not only adds to the taste but also makes it aromatic.
Others – Apart from the above ingredients, we will need butter, onion, ginger and salt.
Step By Step Recipe
Heat butter in a pan.
Once the butter is hot add onion and sauce for a minute.
Add cranberries and the remaining ingredients.
Cover the pan and cook the chutney on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
Using a potato masher, mash the chutney well. Remove the pan from heat and let the chutney cool down.
Store in a glass container and refrigerate.
Frequently Asked Questions
This chutney is very similar to Cranberry Jam but is less sweet. Also, Chutney uses more ingredients than Jam that adds tangy, sweet as well as savory flavors at once, whereas Jam is meant to be very sweet.
Yes, you can use fresh cranberries instead of dried cranberries. You can even use frozen cranberries to make the chutney. Using frozen or dried cranberries means you can make this chutney any time of the year.
You can store this divine and full of flavor Spicy Bourbon Cranberry Chutney in an airtight container for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
This homemade chutney freezes beautifully. Just pack the chutney in an airtight container or freezer-safe ziplock bag and freeze them for a couple of months, and defrost this frozen chutney in the refrigerator overnight when you want to use it next.
Well, there are certainly many ways you can use this chutney and each home has its own way of using it, but here I am sharing some ideas about how I like to use this spicy Cranberry Chutney:
- You can add this chutney to your favorite Sandwiches, it gives it a nice tangy and spicy taste. You can also use it to make your Burgers, be it veg or nonveg.
- It can be served as one of the condiments in your Cheese Platter. The taste of this chutney goes really well with cheese and a glass of red wine.
- Serve it on the side with your Chicken Pie, Empanada, or any other Pie you like to make at home.
- It tastes great along with a plate of Roasted Chicken and some fresh salad. You can even serve it along with Grilled Sausages, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Egg Rolls, Samosa, or any fried appetizer/starter.
- Make a puree out of it and can use it as a dressing to your Salads.
You might also like
Cranberry Chutney Recipe
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 3 cups Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Once the butter shot add onion and sauce for a minute.
- Add cranberries and the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the pan and cook the chutney on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the chutney well.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the chutney cool down.
- Store in a glass container and refrigerate.