Cranberry Orange Chutney makes for a great accompaniment for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. This homemade spicy chutney laced with Bourbon is a delight to eat. Here is how to make it.
Chutney, is an Indian condiment that is usually served along with your everyday meals or with appetisers/starters.
You will find different types of Chutneys in Indian households which is made from pulses, green leafy vegetables, fruits or seasonal vegetables.
These Chutneys are not only famous in India, but it is getting popular all over the world due to its taste and flavour and the oomph it brings to your dishes.
Therefore, I thought to share one such Chutney recipe with you that I make in Winters, especially for my Christmas, New Year and Thanksgiving dinner.
This great recipe is Spicy Bourbon Cranberry Chutney. This chunky and bright, cinnamon flavoured, honey-sweetened chutney is loaded with dried cranberries, bourbon, lime juice and orange juice.
Learn how to make this Cranberry Orange Chutney Recipe, which is very easy to make and gets ready in no time.
About This Recipe
It is a delicious condiment that can be served along with your main course and appetisers, as it adds a great taste to your dishes.
To make this chutney, Fresh or Dried Cranberries are cooked along with onions, honey, ginger, bourbon, lime zest, orange zest, lime juice and orange juice.
Cinnamon and Nutmeg are also used to spice up the flavour of this chutney. This tangy, sweet and delicious Cranberry Orange Chutney also has an extra kick of bourbon that makes it extra fun.
You can even use Fresh Cranberries to make this easy chutney.
You can also try to make this chutney with other Fruits such as Pear, Mango, Apple, Pineapple and I am sure it will come out as good as this chutney.
How to store this chutney?
You can store this divine and full of flavour Spicy Bourbon Cranberry Chutney in an air tight container for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze this chutney?
Yes, this homemade Cranberry Chutney freezes beautifully. Just pack the chutney in an airtight container or freezer-safe ziplock bag and freeze them for a couple of months, and defrost this frozen chutney in the refrigerator overnight when you want to use it next.
How to use this chutney?
Well, there are certainly many ways you can use this chutney and each home has its own way of using it, but here I am sharing some ideas about how I like to use this spicy Cranberry Chutney:
- You can add this chutney to your favourite Sandwiches, it gives it a nice tangy and spicy taste. You can also use it to make your Burgers, be it a veg or non veg.
- It can be served as one of the condiments in your Cheese Platter. The taste of this chutney goes really well with cheese and a glass of red wine.
- Serve it on the side with your Chicken Pie, Empanada or any other Pie you like to make at home.
- It tastes great along with a plate of Roasted Chicken and some fresh salad. You can even serve it along with Grilled Sausages, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Egg Rolls, Samosa or any fried appetiser/starter.
- Make a puree out of it and can use it as a dressing to your Salads.
You might also like
Step By Step Recipe
Heat butter in a pan.
Once the butter is hot add onion and sauce for a minute.
Add cranberries and the remaining ingredients.
Cover the pan and cook the chutney on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
Using a potato masher, mash the chutney well. Remove the pan from heat and let the chutney cool down.
Store in a glass container and refrigerate.
Cranberry Chutney Recipe
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 3 cups Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Once the butter shot add onion and sauce for a minute.
- Add cranberries and the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the pan and cook the chutney on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the chutney well.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the chutney cool down.
- Store in a glass container and refrigerate.