Soups are heartwarming, genuine and can actually lift the mood. They are also great stress busters and extremely nutritious. Tomato Soups are perhaps the most widely made and enjoyed of them all. There’s something in this that is rich, thick, creamy and brings to mind mums and memories of home.
I have prepared this rich creamy tomato soups many times for my family, and they all love it. Whether as a mid-morning dish or an appetizer before dinner, it never disappoints. Creamy Tomato Soup has become a family favorite now and we often have it in bun bowls and enjoy it almost all the year round.
You can also add Parmesan and garlic croutons in the soup, they go very well with Creamy Tomato Soup and are baked. Here is the recipe.
If you’ve made this tomato soup once too often, then try out the other one I’ve prepared, Thai Pumpkin Noodle Soup being especially delicious.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- Tomato - 3-4 choose the best ripe and red tomatoes
- Onion - 1/4 cup sliced
- Garlic - 5-6 cloves
- Bay leaf - 2
- Beet root - 2 small pieces it gives a wonderful color to the soup
- Black peppercorns - 12-15
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Fresh cream - 2 tbsp
- Cut the tomatoes into 4 pieces.
- Add them in a pot.
- Add onions, garlic, bay leaves, beet root and peppercorns and 3 cups of water in the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Discard the bay leaves and beet root.
- Blend the mixture in a blender.
- Strain the mixture through a soup strainer.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add flour and cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pan and keep whisking to avoid formation of lumps.
- Add sugar, salt and black pepper powder.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, till soup thickens a bit.
- Add fresh cream and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with fresh cream and parsley or coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.