If there is one thing that can be enjoyed in all the seasons around the year, it is Tacos. Why? Because you can experiment with the fillings depending on what is in season or what you are in mood to eat. Whenever I crave for something wholesome, delicious and want to make only one dish for dinner, I always go for a Taco meal. The best part, everyone in my family eats it with full joy, that makes me even more happy.
While I keep experimenting with my fillings, there is one Taco which I make again and again, because its yummy and the flavors are just beautiful. It is this one made with crispy fish. The crispiness of the fish fillet along with spicy taco sauce and cabbage slaw in soft Tortillas, I can’t define the flavors in words here. You have to try this one!
To relish something as refreshing as this, you should also check out the recipe of Grilled Chicken Quesadilla and Homemade Tortilla.
So, don’t wait to eat this deliciousness in a Mexican restaurant next time, just get the ingredients ready and make it in your kitchen and enjoy it at the comfort of your home, with a nice movie maybe? Learn how to make this recipe, that also makes for a great party appetizer or a snack that your guests will absolutely love. Here is the recipe.
About This Recipe
These yummy, full of flavor and easy Tacos are made with the yummiest bread crumb crusted fish that has a mild flavor of parsley and thyme, zesty cabbage slaw, a super-simple taco sauce, and other favorite toppings, mine are avocado and sour cream.
To make the cabbage and vegetable slaw, I have used Purple Cabbage, as along with the crunch it also adds a beautiful color to this Taco meal. To spice it up, I have made a Taco sauce, which also adds a tangy taste to the Tacos. In the end, add some avocados and sour cream on the top to add a creamy soft texture to it.
If you are looking to make it a little healthy, you can also bake or grill the fish, instead of deep frying it and add greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. But grilling the fish will not give you the crispy texture, instead it will give you a smoky flavor.
For an amazing Fish Taco, you need four essential ingredients – a crispy deep fried fish, a spicy taco sauce, zesty cabbage slaw and soft tortillas. If you love Asian flavour, you can also substitute your sauces with an Asian Sauce, that tastes great too.
A crispy deep fried fish is made by coating the fish with flour, eggs and then bread crumb mixture which is slightly flavored with thyme and parsley. Then you will need a simple cabbage slaw, that is made with shredded Purple Cabbage, Jalapeno, Red Onions, Coriander, Salt, Black Pepper, Sugar, Lemon Juice and Olive Oil.
These two are spiced up with a delicious Taco Sauce, that is a combination of sour cream, mayonnaise, hot sauce and lemon juice. Yum, right? All these ingredients are stuffed in soft Tortillas, but you can also opt for crispy Taco shells, if you like that crunch in your Tacos.
Which fish can be used to make Tacos?
You can choose any fish such as Baja, Basa, Tilapia, Cod or Mahi Mahi to make these delicious Crispy Fish Tacos.
There are many options to serve along with Fish Tacos, here I am sharing some of my favorites with you:
- You can serve these along with some Salsa and Chips. This is how most of the Mexican restaurants serve the tacos. May be try a Mango Salsa during Summers.
- You can serve it with salads such as Broccoli Apple Salad, Pear Pomegranate Salad, Black Bean And Corn Salad, Ranch Vegetable Salad or any other salad that you like.
- You can serve it along with a refreshing Mocktail during summers. You can also serve it with some mild Mexican soup during Winters.
- You can serve it with a side of Grilled Zucchini, Potato Wedges, Potato Fries or Onion Rings.
- If you are making a Mexican meal, serve these along with Quesadillas, Baked Mexican Rice and may be some cheese loaded Nachos. It makes for a great weekend brunch!
You can use the hard taco shells available in the grocery stores. Here I’ve made them soft using tortilla; however hard ones are equally delicious.
Step by Step Recipe
Put all the ingredients to make the slaw in a bowl
Mix them well and keep aside
Cut the fish fillet into fingers.
Mix bread crumbs, salt, parsley and thyme in a bowl.
Make an assembly line with flour in one bowl, eggs in second and bread crumbs mixture in third.
Heat oil in a pan. Dredge the fish fingers in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip the fingers in egg and then coat them with bread crumbs.
Deep fry the fish fingers until golden brown.
Drain on a tissue lined plate.
Heat a tortilla and keep it on the work surface.
Spread some sour cream in the centre of the tortilla.
Top with crispy fish fingers and slaw. Add a few avocado slices.
Roll into half and serve immediately.
You may like these Mexican Recipes too
Crispy Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- 4 Flour Tortilla
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
For the Cabbage slaw
- 2 cups Purple Cabbage (Finely Shredded)
- 1 tsp Jalapeno (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Onion (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Coriander (Chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
For the fish
- 300 g Fish Fillet (I used Basa)
- 2 Eggs (Whisked)
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Dry Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Dry Thyme
- Oil for frying
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and keep aside
For crispy fish:
- Cut the fish fillet into fingers.
- Mix bread crumbs, salt, parsley and thyme in a bowl.
- Make an assembly line with flour in one bowl, eggs in second and bread crumbs mixture in third.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Dredge the fish fingers in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Dip the fingers in egg and then coat them with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the fish fingers until golden brown.
- Drain on a tissue lined plate.
- Heat a tortilla and keep it on the work surface.
- Spread some sour cream in the centre of the tortilla.
- Top with crispy fish fingers and cabbage slaw.
- Add a few avocado slices.
- Roll into half and serve immediately.