Having traveled through the globe, I’ve loved most of the cuisines I tasted. Different flavorings, herbs, spices, cooking methods makes each of them unique in their own way. However having grown up in the Northern India, the north Indian foods still holds a special place in my heart. Delhi being the capital city, brings the concoction in a perfect sense. This post is dedicated to some of the recipes available in the north Indian menu. These delectable north Indian delights of Delhi are loved by the locals and tourists alike.
Lets start with the starters and chaats, and here are some of my favorites
- Chicken Malai Tikka – A flavorful and juicy boneless chicken marinated with a creamy masala
- Aaloo and Paneer Ki Tikki – Serves as snacks or starter, best had with some coriander and mint green chutney
- Chicken and Cheese Samosa – Delicious samosa’s filled with ample amount of chicken and cheese
- Dahi Poori – One of Delhiwala’s favorite, gol gappas topped with teekhi, meethi chutney, dahi and spices
- Masala Papad – A must order before every north Indian meal, it appetizes the hunger even more
Some of my favorites from the main course would be
- Butter Chicken – Chicken cooked in yummy butter gravy, goes best with some naan
- Shahi Paneer – A vegetarian delight, paneer cubes cooked in a rich gravy
- Malai Kofta – Balls made with paneer filled with dry fruits and cooked with butter or malai. A stunning alternative to other paneer gravies
- Dal Makhani – A mixture of dals/ lentils cooked in a rich way. It goes equally well with rice and breads
- Bhuna Gosht – A yummy and tender mutton preparation
The curries go well with the number of delicious breads
While the north Indian food menu is just incomplete without a good biryani, so here is a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian variety. Serve the biryani and pulav with choice of raita’s for best results.
The richness of north Indian menu is accentuated by numerous desserts like
- Pista Kulfi – An Indian ice cream alternative, just impossible to say no to
- Rasmalai – Another north Indian favorite served in flavored milk
- Phirni – Rice and milk cooked together until thick, an absolute lip smacking dessert
You can follow the above recipes to enjoy these delectable dishes or just head to one of the many North Indian Restaurants in Delhi and enjoy a full meal.