Mostly grown in the southern regions of South Asia, Urad Dal is significantly used while preparing Indian cuisine. Whenever I feel like preparing a different dal during the week, I prepare Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal or Dal Amritsari and soak in the goodness of this enriching lentil. And, without Urad Dal, I cannot imagine making creamy Dal Makhani which we so gladly eat with Zeera Rice. With an intention to invent one more lentil dish, I penned the recipe of Dhuli Urad Dal for my reference. Simply made using subtle spices such as heeng, zeera, turmeric powder, Dhuli Urad Dal turns to be homely and a meal that you can feed even to your kids without a worry.
Popular in the Northern as well as the Southern states of India, ural dal is used throughout the country for making vada, rotis, parathas, dals, salads and snacks. Being full of fiber, Urad Dal is pretty easy to digest. Consumption of urad dal even reduces cholesterol and is an excellent source of vitamin B, folic acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium. Dhuli Urad Dal is one of the easiest accompaniment that can be prepared using this nutritious lentil. You may serve it with Parathas as well as Rice. Before you get back to work, note down the recipe of Dhuli Urad Dal:
Dhuli Urad Dal
- Dhuli Urad Dal - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger - 1 tsp ( Grated )
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Heeng - ¼ tsp
- Zeera - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 2-3
- Onion - ½ cup ( Chopped )
- Fresh coriander - 2 tbsp ( Chopped )
- Wash the dal and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and ginger along with 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook until the dal is cooked.
- Remove the cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
- Mash the dal using the back of a ladle.
- Add more water if required.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add hing and zeera and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add dry red chillies and onion and fry until onion turns golden brown.
- Add the tadka in the cooked dal and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve the dal hot with roti.