Falafel is a very popular Middle Eastern street food. It is basically a deep fried ball or patty made with chickpeas and herbs and spices. For making Falafel, chickpeas are soaked for a few hours and then ground to a coarse paste along with herbs like parsley and coriander and then a few spices are added to the mixture to give it a lovely flavor.
Making it is very easy and it can be eaten as is along with some dip or can also be stuffed inside a pita pocket along with some tomato slices, greens and onions to make a delicious sandwich. Moreover its taste is simply so amazing that one resist eating them just as it is as well! After making it once, I have made it for umpteen times during parties and various other occasions as well just like Vegetable Spring Rolls.
Here is the recipe to make it from scratch.
Equipment Required – Food Processor, Frying Pan.
Falafel / Middle Eastern Deep Fried Chickpea Balls
- Chole Chickpeas - 1 cup
- Onion - ½ cup ( finely chopped )
- Garlic - 6-8 cloves ( chopped )
- Fresh parsley - ¼ cup
- Fresh coriander - ¼ cup
- Roasted cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- Baking powder - ¼ tsp
- Baking soda - ¼ tsp
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak chickpeas in enough water for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water.
- Add soaked chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley and coriander in a food processor and make a coarse paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Make small balls from the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, lower the heat to medium.
- Deep fry the falafel on medium heat till nicely browned.
- Remove on a tissue lined plate.
- Serve hot with tahini dip or hummus.