Fish Biryani is a flavorful mix of rice, spices and fish fillets. Made in traditional Hyderabadi style, this recipe will become your favorite immediately.
For some reason, whenever we decide to eat non-vegetarian food, it’s either chicken or mutton that comes to my mind.
And I have a lot of recipes using these two Non Vegetarian items.
I am so used to eating chicken and mutton in the name of non-vegetarian food that it takes a little extra effort to cross my limits and think about seafood and fish.
That is the reason you will find very few fish recipes on the blog.
But now I will try to make a conscious effort and try to make more of fish recipes as it is not only tasty is also very good for health as well.
And to start this chain of fish recipes, I was thinking what to start with?
I remember so many of you liking my Hyderabadi Mutton and Chicken Biryani recipes and that’s when I thought to make a Fish version of the same.
This Fish Biryani is a perfect start and you will love how well the fish blends with the flavorful rice and masala.
Oh, the aroma of Fish Dum Biryani is so heavenly that it makes everyone drool in our household!
Whenever I prepare Fish Biryani, I make sure to prepare extra so that it can be packed for my kiddo’s and my husband’s lunch as well.
Moreover, it is perfect to serve for festivals and grand dinners as well.
About the recipe
It is a simple yet flavourful rice recipe, where a delicious Fish Masala is layered with rice and then topped with fried onions and coriander leaves.
The flavours are just so good and it tastes as delicious as any Chicken Or Mutton Biryani.
So, if you are a fish lover, you should definitely give this Biryani recipe a try and I’m sure you will love every bite of the same.
Which fish to use to make this Biryani?
I have used Seer fish to make this recipe but you can use any fish of your choice.
Pro Tips by Neha
You can add some green chilli paste in the marinade if you like spicy biryani.
I have used Seer fish fillets to make the biryani but you can choose any fish of your choice. Even boneless fish pieces works well in this recipe.
This Fish Biryani tastes good on its own, but you can also serve it along with a bowl of simple Curd or any Raita of your choice.
You can also serve it with a Salan of your choice and some thinly sliced onions on the side.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain the water. Add all the remaining ingredients in rice along with 4 cups of water.
Cover and cook till 80% done.
Mix hung curd, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
Coat the fish pieces with this marinade and keep aside for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and fry till they are slightly browned.
Add green chilli and ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are nicely browned.
Now add tomato and half cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the fish pieces along with the marinade. Cook for 5-6 minutes till fish is done and the masala is dry.
Top the fish with cooked rice.
Sprinkle browned onion, fried cashew nut, coriander, mint and saffron soaked in milk. Pour ghee on top.
Cover the pot tightly with a lid and keep some heavy weight over it. Let the biryani cook on very low heat for 25-30 minutes.
Fish Biryani Recipe
For the rice
- 2 cups Long grain basmati rice
- 2-3 Clove
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 2 Black cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Salt
- 4-5 drops Kewra essence
For the fish
- 500 g Fish (I used seer fish.)
- 2 tbsp Hung curd
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Green chilli (slit into half)
- 1 cup Tomato (chopped)
- ¼ cup Onion (thinly sliced and fried in hot oil till crisp and golden brown )
- 8-10 Cashew nuts (fried till golden brown)
- 1 pinch Saffron (soaked in a tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp Fresh mint (chopped)
- 3 tbsp Fresh coriander (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Ghee
For the rice
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in rice along with 4 cups of water and cover and cook till 80% done.
For the fish
- Wash the fish nicely.
- Mix hung curd, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Coat the fish pieces with this marinade and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion and fry till they are slightly browned.
- Add green chili and ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are nicely browned.
- Now add tomato and half cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish pieces along with the marinade.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes till fish is done and the masala is slightly dry.
- Layer the fish with 80% cooked rice.
- Sprinkle browned onion, fried cashew nuts, coriander, mint and saffron soaked in milk.
- Pour the ghee on top.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid and keep some heavy weight over it.
- Let the biryani cook on very low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked let it rest for 10 minutes and then give a gentle mix.
- Garnish with fried onions and fried cashew nuts.
- Serve hot with mix veg raita.