Fish Biryani is a flavorful mix of rice, spices and fish fillets. Made in traditional Hyderabadi style, this recipe will become your favorite immediately.
For some reason, whenever we decide to eat non-vegetarian food, it’s either chicken or mutton that comes to my mind.
And I have a lot of recipes using these two Non Vegetarian items.
I am so used to eating chicken and mutton in the name of non-vegetarian food that it takes a little extra effort to cross my limits and think about seafood and fish.
That is the reason you will find very few fish recipes on the blog.
But now I will try to make a conscious effort and try to make more of fish recipes as it is not only tasty is also very good for health as well.
And to start this chain of fish recipes, I was thinking what to start with?
I remember so many of you liking my Hyderabadi Mutton and Chicken Biryani recipes and that’s when I thought to make a Fish version of the same.
This Fish Biryani is a perfect start and you will love how well the fish blends with the flavorful rice and masala.
Oh, the aroma of Fish Dum Biryani is so heavenly that it makes everyone drool in our household!
Whenever I prepare Fish Biryani, I make sure to prepare extra so that it can be packed for my kiddo’s and my husband’s lunch as well.
Here are some more Biryani Recipes for you – Hyderabadi Veg Biryani, Egg Dum Biryani, Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani, Authentic Mutton Biryani and Shahi Mushroom Biryani.
Moreover, it is perfect to serve for festivals and grand dinners as well.
About the recipe
It is a simple yet flavourful rice recipe, where a delicious Fish Masala is layered with rice and then topped with fried onions and coriander leaves.
The flavours are just so good and it tastes as delicious as any Chicken Or Mutton Biryani.
So, if you are a fish lover, you should definitely give this Biryani recipe a try and I’m sure you will love every bite of the same.
Which fish to use to make this Biryani?
I have used Seer fish to make this recipe but you can use any fish of your choice.
Pro Tips by Neha
You can add some green chilli paste in the marinade if you like spicy biryani.
I have used Seer fish fillets to make the biryani but you can choose any fish of your choice. Even boneless fish pieces works well in this recipe.
This Fish Biryani tastes good on its own, but you can also serve it along with a bowl of simple Curd or any Raita of your choice.
You can also serve it with a Salan of your choice and some thinly sliced onions on the side.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain the water. Add all the remaining ingredients in rice along with 4 cups of water.
Cover and cook till 80% done.
Mix hung curd, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
Coat the fish pieces with this marinade and keep aside for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and fry till they are slightly browned.
Add green chilli and ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are nicely browned.
Now add tomato and half cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the fish pieces along with the marinade. Cook for 5-6 minutes till fish is done and the masala is dry.
Top the fish with cooked rice.
Sprinkle browned onion, fried cashew nut, coriander, mint and saffron soaked in milk. Pour ghee on top.
Cover the pot tightly with a lid and keep some heavy weight over it. Let the biryani cook on very low heat for 25-30 minutes.
Fish Biryani Recipe
For the rice
- 2 cups Long grain basmati rice
- 2-3 Clove
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 2 Black cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 4-5 drops Kewra essence
For the fish
- 500 g Fish (I used seer fish.)
- 2 tablespoon Hung curd
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Green chilli (slit into half)
- 1 cup Tomato (chopped)
- ¼ cup Onion (thinly sliced and fried in hot oil till crisp and golden brown )
- 8-10 Cashew nuts (fried till golden brown)
- 1 pinch Saffron (soaked in a tablespoon water)
- 3 tablespoon Fresh mint (chopped)
- 3 tablespoon Fresh coriander (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
For the rice
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Add all the remaining ingredients in rice along with 4 cups of water and cover and cook till 80% done.
For the fish
- Wash the fish nicely.
- Mix hung curd, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Coat the fish pieces with this marinade and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion and fry till they are slightly browned.
- Add green chili and ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are nicely browned.
- Now add tomato and half cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish pieces along with the marinade.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes till fish is done and the masala is slightly dry.
- Layer the fish with 80% cooked rice.
- Sprinkle browned onion, fried cashew nuts, coriander, mint and saffron soaked in milk.
- Pour the ghee on top.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid and keep some heavy weight over it.
- Let the biryani cook on very low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked let it rest for 10 minutes and then give a gentle mix.
- Garnish with fried onions and fried cashew nuts.
- Serve hot with mix veg raita.
The biryani looks absolutely delicious!
Fish biryani looks mouthwatering……loved the stunning pics..
This is absolute delish biryani.. i always hesistate to prep fish biryani as its not like mutton and chicken. If anything goes wrong, it may spoil the whole thing and smell’s bad.. urs instruction and pictures everthing out of world.. Keep rocking Neha (y)
Thnx Ranjani 🙂
Your instructions were slightly misleading. You said put the rice on top of the fish mixture but then you mention LAYERING so i was lost.
Apologies for the confusion Gordon. The rice is put on fish and this makes a layer of fish and rice and then the toppings. Let me know if this helps. Thnx
This was a delicious recipe. Thank you!
Thanks a lot for trying 🙂
I cooked this for friends last night it was fantastic. Everyone commented that this was the best Biryani they had ever eaten.
Happy to hear this Nick 🙂
Lovely. Just one thing is the cloves whole cloves. Thanks erica
Yes it is.