We were holidaying in Kerala and had the most amazing time witnessing the beauty of god’s own land. It being the monsoon season, everything was lush green and it was the perfect 600 km drive from Bangalore to Allepy. Now it’s routine life once again with kiddo going back to school and Mohit super busy in his office. That gives me enough time to experiment in my kitchen, and come up with recipes that I want to add to my collection. So during one of these experiments, I came up with this delicious Fresh Cherry Rum Cake.To make it even more interesting, I added a soaking syrup with rum in it. The cake turned out super soft and flavorful, and the kick from the rum took it to another level. Moreover, cherries and rum as a combination turn really amazing! After making Fresh Cherry Rum Cake once, I have promised myself that I will make this cake whenever I find cherries in the supermarket or at a local farm.
Rum is an alcohol that is actually quite a favorite of almost all my friends. Not many know though that it can be used in cooking as well. Spiced Peach and Rum Galette and Whipped Cream with Rum Glaze are two innovative recipes where you could use this drink. In order to make Fresh Cherry Rum Cake more appealing, you could dust it a little with sugar, it would look more inviting for sure! If you haven’t baked since ages then Fresh Cherry Rum Cake would definitely soothe your senses. So, wear your gloves and get ready to bake this super delicious cake, here’s its recipe:
Fresh Cherry and Rum Cake
- All purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Vegetable oil - 100 gm
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Cherries - 1 cup seeded and chopped and a few cut into halves to put on top
- For the soaking syrup
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 tbsp
- Rum - 2 tbsp
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Grease and line an 8 inch pan.
- Mix all purpose flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Mix sugar, yogurt, egg oil and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and keep the pan in the oven.
- Let the cake cook for 20 minutes.
- Now put halved cherries on top of the cake and bake for another 30-35 minute.
- Check with a tooth pick if the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Make soaking syrup by cooking sugar with water till sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add rum
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack.
- Pour the soaking syrup while the cake is still warm.
- Keep for an hour before serving, so that the cake absorbs the soaking syrup nicely.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.