Most of you would have had Chawal Ki Kheer or Meve Ki Kheer before, but do you know that we can make a delicious kheer with cauliflower? It definitely is an unusual ingredient for a dessert, but I tried this Cauliflower Pudding or Gobhi ki Kheer today and everyone in the house fell in love with it. The kheer has a lovely texture and taste and can be eaten warm or chilled. We personally like it chilled.
Cauliflower is often thought of as a vegetable, but it is very versatile.It also serves as a good base for soups. This Gobhi ki Kheer is one of the few sweets made with this ingredient. Here is how to make it.
Gobhi Ki Kheer
Gobhi ki kheer
Equipment Required – Heavy Bottom Pan, Blender
- Cauliflower - 1 and ½ cup ( cut into very small pieces )
- Boiled rice- ½ cup
- Full cream milk - 1 liter
- Saffron - 8-10 strands
- Cardamom - 5-6 ( crushed )
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Almonds - 8-10 ( crushed )
- Cashew nuts - 8-10 ( crushed )
- Kewra essence - 3-4 drops
- Slivers of almonds and pistachios for garnishing
- Boil water in a pan.
- Add cauliflower and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water and repeat the process 2-3 times.
- Wash the boiled cauliflower under running water for a minute.
- Blend the boiled rice and boiled cauliflower in a blender to make a coarse paste.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add cauliflower and rice mixture and saffron strands.
- Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add cardamom and sugar and cook till kheer thickens to desired consistency.
- Take ghee in a small pan. Add almonds and cashew nuts and fry till slightly browned.
- Add the ghee in the kheer.
- Remove the keer from heat.
- Cool in a refrigerator and garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Serve chilled.