Most of you would have had Chawal Ki Kheer or Meve Ki Kheer before, but do you know that we can make a delicious kheer with cauliflower? It definitely is an unusual ingredient for a dessert, but I tried this Cauliflower Pudding or Gobhi ki Kheer today and everyone in the house fell in love with it. The kheer has a lovely texture and taste and can be eaten warm or chilled. We personally like it chilled.
Cauliflower is often thought of as a vegetable, but it is very versatile.It also serves as a good base for soups. This Gobhi ki Kheer is one of the few sweets made with this ingredient. Here is how to make it.
Gobhi Ki Kheer
Gobhi ki kheer
- Cauliflower - 1 and ½ cup ( cut into very small pieces )
- Boiled rice- ½ cup
- Full cream milk - 1 liter
- Saffron - 8-10 strands
- Cardamom - 5-6 ( crushed )
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Almonds - 8-10 ( crushed )
- Cashew nuts - 8-10 ( crushed )
- Kewra essence - 3-4 drops
- Slivers of almonds and pistachios for garnishing
- Boil water in a pan.
- Add cauliflower and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water and repeat the process 2-3 times.
- Wash the boiled cauliflower under running water for a minute.
- Blend the boiled rice and boiled cauliflower in a blender to make a coarse paste.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add cauliflower and rice mixture and saffron strands.
- Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add cardamom and sugar and cook till kheer thickens to desired consistency.
- Take ghee in a small pan. Add almonds and cashew nuts and fry till slightly browned.
- Add the ghee in the kheer.
- Remove the keer from heat.
- Cool in a refrigerator and garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Serve chilled.