Gosht Yakhni Pulao is a flavorful rice preparation where long grain basmati rice is cooked in a stock made with Mutton and spices. Here is a traditional recipe to make it.
In the Mathur clan, this Pulao is seen as more of a traditional dish which has to be prepared on special occasions and grand dinners. However, each family of the Mathur clan makes slight variations when it comes to this pulao.
About this recipe
For preparing this toothsome pulao, long grain Basmati Rice or pulao rice is cooked along with flavorful mutton stock and is infused with spices.
This Pulao is sure to pacify your palate with fine flavors and texture. It has also been a huge hit whenever I have served it in parties as it taste great. Also, I serve this with any of my fresh, homemade raita.
Do prepare this toothsome Mutton Yakhni Pulao at least once a month and look forward to having an amazing meal. So, before you plan to make it, scribble down its simple recipe and even share it with your friends!
- ½ kg Goat meat
- 2 tablespoon Oil (plus for frying onions)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seed
- 2 inch Ginger (grated)
- 1 whole Bulb Garlic
- 4-5 Clove
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 6-8 Black pepper
- 3-4 Black cardamom
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- 5-6 Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- 3 cups Rice
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 4 tablespoon Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 4-5 drops Kewda essence
- Wash and soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Make a bouquet gurney with cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, black cardamom and bay leaves.( tie the ingredients in a small piece of white cotton cloth )
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pressure cooker.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- Add the meat, ginger, whole garlic bulb, salt, 4 cups water and the bouquet gurney in the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook till meat is nicely done ( approx 1 whistle on high heat and then simmer the heat and cook for 10 minutes )
- Open the cooker once the pressure is released.
- Check the meat for doneness and cook for some more time if required.
- Let the mixture cool for sometime.
- Squeeze the Bouquet gurney and garlic bulb to extract the maximum flavours.
- Pass the meat through a strainer and reserve the yakhani ( stock ).
- Keep aside.
- Fry the thinly sliced onions until golden brown.
- Soak the saffron in milk and keep aside.
- In a large, thick bottomed pan, heat ghee.
- Add the meat pieces, yogurt, garam masala and little more than half of the fried onion
- Fry for 4-5 minutes
- Strain the rice and add it to the pan.
- Measure the yakhani and add water to it to make 6 cups.
- Add it to the pan.
- Add the kewda essence and salt and cover the pan with the lid tightly.
- Seal the edges with some dough ( optional ).
- Simmer the heat to low and cook the rice till it is nicely done.
- Add saffron soaked in milk over the rice and cover and keep for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the Yakhni Pulao with a fork gently.
- Garnish with golden fried onions.
- Serve hot with raita.