Try these Mexican Spinach Tortillas, where classic whole wheat tortillas are made green and nutritious with the addition of spinach puree. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Give your classic Mexican whole wheat tortillas a twist with these Spinach Tortillas. Addition of pureed spinach makes it nutritious, gives it a beautiful green hue and also makes it look appealing.
This green tortilla can be used to make rolls, wraps or quesadillas with your favourite stuffings. Double or triple the recipe to make in bulk and freeze for later use.
You just need 5 simple ingredients to make spinach tortillas – spinach, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and vegetable oil.
Flour – These tortillas are prepared with whole wheat flour, but you can use other flour such as corn flour, all purpose flour, oatmeal flour or a mix of these to make the tortillas.
For a gluten free version, you can swap the whole wheat flour with gluten free flours like cassava flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour etc.
Keep the remaining process same. It will be slightly difficult to roll the gluten free flour but you can roll the tortilla between two parchment sheets and then transfer it to the griddle.
Spinach – Fresh spinach is my preferred choice, which is easily available throughout the year these days. But in case it’s not available, you can use frozen spinach as well.
Choose fresh and green spinach leaves, discard the ones that has black or bruised patches.
Others – Other than this, you will need salt, some oil and a pinch of baking powder.
Benefits of Spinach
- Spinach as most of us are aware, lowers cholesterol, it even contains zinc, protein, vitamin A, C, E, K.
- Also, it is full of magnesium, calcium, iron et al. Spinach will never make you bulky as its fat content is very low.
- It even manages diabetes and lowers glucose levels for diabetic patients.
- Spinach also comes handy in preventing cancer and asthma.
- Moreover, spinach is good for the health of our hair and skin.
Frequently asked Questions:
To make spinach tortilla chips, cut the tortilla into small triangular pieces. Line them on a baking tray. Spray with oil and bake for 15-20 minutes at 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). Sprinkle with paprika for a spicy kick.
Roll the dough to make an approximate circle. Then use a lid or a plate and push it hard on the dough circle to make a circular indentation.
Take out the excess dough from the sides and voila! Your round same sized tortilla are ready.
These green tortillas are perfect to make wraps or rolls by filling your favourite stuffings – veg or non veg into it.
You can use them to make burritos by filling them with rice, beans, sour cream, salsa, lettuce etc.
Make quesadillas with them. The green colour of these tortillas make them look even more appealing.
These tortillas are very versatile. You can make chips out of them and serve with dips like hummus or salsa.
Green tortillas lasts for almost a week (5-7 days) in an air tight container in the fridge.
They are also freezer friendly! Once it cools down, store it in a freezer safe ziplock bag or container for about 6 to 8 months with parchment paper in between, so that they don’t stick to each other.
You might also like:
Step By Step Recipe
Heat water in a large pot. Once the water comes to a boil, simmer the heat and add the spinach. Cook the spinach for 2 minutes and then drain the water and run the spinach under cold water.
Puree the cooked spinach in a blender to make a smooth paste.
Add flour, salt, baking powder and vegetable oil in a bowl and mix using your fingers.
Add spinach puree and mix well.
Now add little water and make a soft dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
Divide the dough into 6-8 equal parts. Dust and roll each part to make a 8-10 inch disc.
Cut the disc using a lid to make same size tortilla.
Heat a griddle. Once the griddle is hot, transfer the tortilla on the griddle and cook from both the sides until brown spots appear. Make all the tortillas in the same manner. Wrap in a plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to use
Spinach Tortilla Recipe
- 2 cups Spinach
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- Heat water in a large pot.
- Once the water comes to a boil, simmer the heat and add the spinach.
- Cook the spinach for 2 minutes and then drain the water and run the spinach under cold water.
- Puree the cooked spinach in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and vegetable oil in a bowl and mix using your fingers.
- Add spinach puree and mix well.
- Now add little water and make a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal parts.
- Dust and roll each part to make a 8-10 inch disc.
- Heat a griddle.
- Once the griddle is hot, transfer the tortilla on the griddle and cook from both the sides until brown spots appear.
- Make all the tortillas in the same manner.
- Wrap in a plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to use.