How to Celebrate Gudi Padwa
Gudi Padwa is celebrated as the onset of the spring season, the first day of the New Year according to the Hindu calendar. Traditionally the festivals also coincided with the harvesting season’s start and end, here as well Gudi Padwa marks the end of Rabi season and starting of a new harvesting season. While Gudi Padwa is celebrated with much fanfare in Maharashtra, the festival is also known by the name of Ugadi in South India and celebrated in an equally elaborate manner. Here are 5 things you can do to celebrate Gudi Padwa at your home in traditional style.
- Prepare a Gudi: Gudi can be made easily with a long stick wrapped with bright cloth (generally yellow) and decorated with flowers, sugar, leaves from trees like Neem and Mango. Finally top it up with an inverted copper pot. Place this Gudi at the entrance of your house or prime window location. Also decorate your house with flowers and bright colours to have positive energy flowing all around.
- Buy something new: This is considered to be a good time to buy something new. You could buy Gold ornaments, a new vehicle or even a new house. Look to get some new clothes for your family and decorations for your home. This is meant to bring prosperity to your home.
- Visiting a temple: All family members should take bath and visit the temple to seek blessings from the almighty. Traditionally people used to go to sacred rivers and ponds. The bath is supposed to cleanse and prepare you for the new season.
- Cooking traditional Maharashtrian cuisine: What’s a festival without a table spread of traditional dishes. So click on these tried and tested recipes to make this Gudi Padwa. You should make Shrikhand, Puran Poli, Katachi Amti and many more.
- Spring cleaning: Cleaning your house is an auspicious to start the spring season. Throw or give away any unwanted items from your home. After bringing in the New Year, cleaning your house is an absolute must to have a safe year ahead. Kitchen cleaning should be the highest on the agenda as it is vital for the health of your family. Over time we see that due to leftover food lot of cockroaches come into your kitchen which can result into contamination and food poisoning. LAL HIT comes with a unique deep reach nozzle that can kill even the hidden cockroaches. Let your kitchen welcome good health for you and your family. Make sure you are ready to #SayNoToFoodPoisoning and have a clean kitchen.