Ginger Chicken or Adraki Murgh is a spicy Punjabi Style Chicken Curry with bold flavors of Ginger. It tastes delicious with Steamed Rice or any Indian bread.
About This Recipe
Ginger Chicken Curry, is a delicious North Indian Chicken Curry that has a yogurt base with prominent ginger flavor.
It comes from the state of Punjab, where it is popularly named as Punjabi Murgh Adraki. You will find this dish in many local Non-Veg restaurants and roadside dhaba of Punjab.
When I say prominent flavor, that means we will use Ginger three times in different stages to make this curry. Ginger definitely makes it hot, but it tastes delicious and not at all overpowering.
Other ingredients such as yogurt, onions, etc blend in well with the extra ginger and make it super delicious. I am sure once you make this curry at home, this will become a regular.
So, if you want to make something different and give your usual Chicken Curries a break, then you must give this Ginger Chicken Curry a try.
This Ginger Chicken Curry is,
- Favorite at home
- Loaded with ginger flavor
- Apt for your weekend dinners
Chicken – Here, Chicken the key ingredient of this recipe is marinated and grilled first, and then added to the yogurt ginger curry. I try to use chicken with bones to make curries but you can use boneless too.
Ginger – This is the ingredient that makes this curry unique. You will need a lot of ginger for this curry, as we will use it thrice in different stages.
For marination – For marination, we will need just three ingredients – Ginger Paste, Garlic Paste, Lemon Juice, and Salt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes, so that the chicken soaks up all the flavor well.
Yogurt – The base of this curry is made with yogurt. This adds a nice creaminess to this curry and really goes well with the ginger flavor.
Maida – This is optional, but it helps in thickening the curry.
Whole Spices – For whole spices, we will cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
Spice Powders – We will use some of the everyday spice powders like Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Garam Masala Powder, and Salt to add in more spice and flavor.
Oil – Make this Chicken Curry in mustard oil for best results. If not available, you can make this curry in ghee or any vegetable oil too.
Other Ingredients – Other than the above mentioned ingredients, we will need onion, garlic, green chilli, lemon juice and ginger.
Step By Step Recipe
For the marinade:
Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Cover the bowl and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Heat a grill pan. Arrange the chicken in the grill pan and grill on high heat until slightly browned from both the sides.
Remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside.
For the gravy:
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf.
Let them crackle for 5-6 seconds and then add onion. Fry till onion turns translucent.
Add ginger and garlic and fry till onion turns golden brown.
Add green chilli and fry for a minute.
Now add chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
Whisk yogurt with flour and add it in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat until oil starts to separate on the sides of the pan.
Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt and ½ cup of warm water.
Add ginger and cover the pan. Cook till chicken is done. Add some more water if required.
Add lemon juice and cook for another minute. Garnish with Ginger Juliennes and Coriander.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can follow the same recipe and make this curry with Mutton instead. But the cooking time will be different, as Mutton takes more time than Chicken to cook.
Yes, you can adjust the amount of ginger in the curry to suit your taste and preference.
This Ginger Chicken Curry will last in the fridge for about 2-3 days when stored properly in an airtight container.
This Curry is freezer friendly too.
This ginger chicken curry goes really well with hot Steamed Rice or Phulka. The pungent flavour of grated ginger really comes through in this recipe. So do give this flavourful curry a try.
You might also like
Ginger Chicken Recipe
For the marinade
- 750 g Chicken (Curry Cut)
- 3 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Salt
For the gravy
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 3-4 Cloves
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2 cups Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (Minced)
- 3 tsp Ginger (Grated)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Maida
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Ginger Juliennes
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
For the marinade
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan.
- Arrange the chicken in the grill pan and grill on high heat until slightly browned from both the sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside.
For the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Let them crackle for 5-6 seconds and then add onion.
- Fry till onion turns translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Now add chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.Whisk yogurt with flour and add it in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat until oil starts to separate on the sides of the pan.
- Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt and ½ cup of warm water.
- Add ginger and cover the pan.
- Cook till chicken is done.
- Add some more water if required.
- Add lemon juice and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with Ginger Juliennes and Coriander.
- Serve hot with Rice or Phulke.