Ginger Chicken or Adraki Murgh is a spicy Punjabi style chicken curry with bold flavours of Ginger. It tastes delicious with steamed rice or any Indian bread. Here is how to make Ginger Chicken Curry Recipe or Chicken Adraki Recipe.
Don’t we all love a flavourful chicken curry? Chicken curry has almost become like a staple in most households, it’s one dish that can be made for pretty much any occasion, you could serve it at a get together or it even makes for a delicious party main that everyone is going to love.
It’s also one dish that can be made in many different ways; it’s always fun to experiment with different recipes by exploring the flavours and texture of different ingredients.
Chicken is a brilliant source of lean protein and is one of the most favoured ingredients to make a delicious curry as it soaks in all the flavours of the broth really well.
How to make it?
To make this chicken curry we are using curry cut pieces of chicken, you could also use chicken breast or chicken thighs if you wish.
First, the chicken pieces are to be marinated using a simple marinade of ginger paste, garlic paste, lemon juice and salt. It’s recommended that the chicken be left to marinade for at least half an hour.
Then the chicken pieces are grilled on a grill pan till it’s browned on all sides. A gravy is then prepared.
To make the gravy, mustard oil is heated in a pan and to this, we add in cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf.
Once the spices have crackled for a few minutes, we add in the chopped onions and fry it until it turns golden brown.
Then chopped ginger and garlic are added in and it is fried, to this chopped green chillies are added. To this mix, add in the whisked yoghurt and flour that helps to give this dish a nice, rich texture.
It’s left to cook until the oil leaves the sides of the pan. Next the spice mixes like Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt are added in with some warm water.
To this aromatic curry mix, add in the grated ginger and grilled chicken, the pan is to be covered till the chicken is well cooked and it soaks in all the flavours of the curry.
Depending on the amount of gravy required, you can add in a little more water if needed. Finally, for some extra zing, lemon juice is added in and the ginger chicken curry is garnished with ginger juliennes and chopped coriander.
What to serve with it?
This ginger chicken curry goes really well with hot rice or phulka. The pungent flavour of grated ginger really comes through in this recipe. So do give this flavourful curry a try.
It’s quite different from most other chicken curry recipes as it doesn’t make use of coconut milk, sesame seeds or red peppers. Here is how to make it.
You might also like
Ginger Chicken Recipe
For the marinade
- 1 kg Chicken (Curry Cut)
- 2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Salt
For the gravy
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 3-4 Cloves
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2 cups Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (Minced)
- 3 tsp Ginger (Grated)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Maida
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Ginger Juliennes
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
For the marinade
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan.
- Arrange the chicken in the grill pan and grill on high heat until slightly browned from both the sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep aside.
For the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Let them crackle for 5-6 seconds and then add onion.
- Fry till onion turns translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Now add chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.Whisk yogurt with flour and add it in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat until oil starts to separate on the sides of the pan.
- Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt and ½ cup of warm water.
- Add ginger and cover the pan.
- Cook till chicken is done.
- Add some more water if required.
- Add lemon juice and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with Ginger Juliennes and Coriander.
- Serve hot with Rice or Phulke.