Try this easy baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken made from scratch and I am sure you will fall in love with this really good Caribbean traditional dish. Here is how to make it.
There is an undying passion for hot and spicy foods as everyone loves to gorge themselves on flavoursome dishes.
Talking about dishes infused with peppery flavours, Jerk Chicken comes to mind.
Jerk is a style of cooking that is associated with Jamaica wherein they wet marinate the meat with a hot spice mixture called Jamaican jerk spice.
The meat is then grilled until perfectly cooked.
I tried it while our stay in the US in one of the Jamaican restaurant and it has become a favourite since then.
After being successfully able to recreate the taste of homemade Jerk Marinade, I used it to make this chicken and if I can say so myself, it was mind-blowing good.
What is Jerk Chicken?
It is deeply interlinked with the Jamaican history and is also the most loved recipe in the Caribbean.
While the most commonly used meat is chicken, pork, beef, seafood, goat and vegetables are also grilled in this style.
The process involves marinating the meat with Jamaican Jerk Spices and then slowly cooking the meat on fire or grill and again coating it with hot spices that overall gives the dish its authentic flavour.
How did it originate?
It is believed that African meat cooking techniques were introduced to Jamaica and combined with native Jamaican ingredients and seasonings which led to the origin of this dish.
The process of cooking chicken for a longer period as in a crockpot is to preserve the meat longer once it has been cooked.
What does it taste like?
As mentioned earlier, Jerk Chicken is seasoned with spices that give the dish a smoky taste.
The smoky and hot taste comes from having the chicken marinated in hot spices overnight or for some few hours.
If one likes food that tastes pleasantly sharp, then this is the best recipe, however, if you prefer bland food then the dish might not be appetizing.
What to serve with it?
Jerk Chicken is infused with hot spices that gives the dish its key flavor. It is typically served with veggies as well as steamed rice.
The blend of flavored marinated grilled chicken and hot steamy rice effuses aroma that will surely tempt everyone to dig in.
You can slice and add it in pasta, tacos, salad and sandwiches. It only takes the taste of these dishes to another level.
Can you freeze it?
Chicken must be marinated 24 hours in advance and then it can be frozen in a resealable bag up to a month.
If you are planning to use it, allow the chicken to thaw in refrigerator overnight.
How to Bake Jerk Chicken?
After marinating the chicken, place it in a preheated oven and cook it for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes till the chicken is no longer pink.
Turn the oven on to broil, and cook until the skin crisps, 2 to 5 minutes.
Step by Step Recipe
Add all the ingredients except chicken breast in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Add the chicken breast in a zip lock bag along with the marinade.
Fill to cover the breasts
Seal the bag and coat the chicken breast nicely with the marinade.
Pre heat the oven to 350 Degrees F (180 Degrees C) Place the chicken breast on a baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165-170 Dress F.
Meanwhile, the chicken is cooking, add the remaining marinade in a pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes until it is slightly thick like a dipping sauce. Remove the tray from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken on a serving plate and cut into slices. Serve with the reduced marinade.
Jerk Chicken Recipe
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (Chopped)
- 1 Spring Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- ½ teaspoon Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon All Spice Powder
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Seeds removed)
- 3-4 Chicken Breast (Boneless)
- Add all the ingredients except chicken breast in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the chicken breast in a zip lock bag along with the marinade.
- Seal the bag and coat the chicken breast nicely with the marinade.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 Degrees F (180 Degrees C)
- Place the chicken breast on a baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165-170 Dress F.
- Meanwhile the chicken is cooking, add the remaining marinade in a pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes until it is slightly thick like a dipping sauce.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked chicken on a serving plate and cut into slices.
- Serve with the reduced marinade.