Jodhpuri Kabuli is a rice preparation from the Jodhpur city of Rajasthan. The rice is cooked along with vegetables, dry fruits and mild spices. Here is a traditional recipe to make Rajasthani Kabuli.
About the recipe
This rice preparation is a royal, mildly flavored dish which is complemented with crisp vegetables, dry fruits, fresh fruits and bread slices. To give it a distinct, desi flavor, vegetables and other aforementioned ingredients are deep-fried in pure ghee.
It is such a motley of extraordinary flavors that I can still sense its taste in my palette. Fresh grapes and pomegranates are also used in this dish which lends it a nice taste.
If you are a fan of raita like me, then do serve it with Boondi Ka Raita. So, there you go, make sure to note down its recipe and don’t forget to let me know if it tasted finger-licking!
- 1 Potato (Medium size, peeled and cut into thin slices)
- 1 cup Cauliflower (Cut into florets)
- 3-4 White bread slices (cut into small cubes)
- 10-12 Cashew nuts
- 15-20 Raisins
- Ghee for frying vegetables
For the rice
- 2 cups Long grain basmati rice
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2-3 Clove
- A pinch of yellow color
For the masala
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2-3 Clove
- 2 Black cardamom
- 10-12 Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Shahi zeera
- ½ teaspoon Zeera
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Green chilli (Chopped)
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon White pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Peas
- ¼ cup Pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup Black grapes
- Deep fry the vegetables, bread and dry fruits in ghee separately until they are golden brown.
- Drain on a plate and keep aside.
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the rice in a heavy bottom pan along with lemon juice, salt and cloves.
- Cover and cook till 80% done.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee for the masala in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cloves, cardamom, peppercorn, shahi zeera and zeera and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and green chilies and fry till onion turns slightly translucent.
- Add yogurt and cream and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder red chili powder, white pepper powder and salt and cook for a minute.
- Add peas, pomegranate seeds and the fried vegetables, bread and dry fruits and mix well.
- Transfer half of the rice in a heavy bottom pan.
- Top with the masala and vegetable mixture.
- Cover with the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the yellow food color on top.
- Keep a tawa on low flame and keep the pan with rice on this tawa.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes till rice is completely done.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with fresh coriander, pomegranate seeds and fried onions.
- Serve hot with raita on the side.