Pumpkin is popularly known as Kaddu in India. And trust me, we Indians use this vegetable in diverse ways. Though, we use it more while preparing Sambhar. Do you know that we can create so many different dishes using pumpkin? Right from making breakfast of Kaddu ka Paratha, preparing a tangy accompaniment like Kaddu ka Raita or crafting a unique sabzi like Khatta Meetha Kaddu, pumpkin can be used more and more by us. Considering that pumpkin combats cancer, improves the health of eyes, enhances immunity and fertility, it sounds right to eat pumpkin as often as possible. Now some of you, may or may not like the taste of pumpkin when cooked directly, but by making Kaddu Ka Halwa, you can easily solve that dilemma.
Kaddu Ka Halwa is a unique vegetable-based dessert like Lauki ka Halwa which turns stupendously toothsome. Handcrafted by sautéing dry fruits, grated pumpkin, sugar, and khoya, it has this awesome taste that lingers in your mouth for quite some time. With those oozing flavours of ghee, dry fruits, Kaddu Ka Halwa revitalises your appetite in a beautiful way. Kaddu Ka Halwa is simple to make and the fact that making a unique dessert takes time doesn’t really apply to Kaddu Ka Halwa. You can nicely serve Kaddu Ka Halwa to your guests on Diwali or eat it with your family this festive season. Bring a huge kaddu home this weekend and prepare Kaddu Ka Halwa without fail:
Kaddu Ka Halwa
Kaddu Ka Halwa
- Ghee - ¼ cup
- Kaddu / Pumpkin - 500 g ( Grated )
- Milk - 250 ml
- Sugar - 100 g
- Khoya - 200 g ( Crumbled )
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Almonds - 10-12 ( Chopped )
- Cashew nuts - 10-12 ( Chopped )
- Pistachios - 10-12 ( Chopped )
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, fry the almonds, cashew nuts and pistachios until they are slightly browned.
- Remove and keep aside.
- In the same ghee, add the grated kaddu.
- Cook on medium flame for 10-12 minutes, stirring at regular intervals.
- Add milk and cook until all of it is absorbed by the pumpkin.
- Add sugar and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- Add khoya and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals through out the process.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and fries nuts.
- Serve hot.