Kaleji Masala or Mutton Liver Masala is a semi-dry preparation of mutton liver that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, with Rotis or Kerala Parotta and even plain white rice. Here is how to make it.
Here are some more Chicken and Mutton recipes that you can make for your weekend meals – Coriander Chicken Curry, Mutton Kulambu, Chicken Angara, Railway Mutton Curry, Mutton Korma, Malabar Chicken Curry, Bhuna Gosht, Kadai Chicken, and Achari Chicken.
What is Kaleji?
Kaleji is the liver of Mutton or Chicken. It is a common preparation in India and can be made as masala or fry.
Here, I have used Mutton Kaleji, but you can instead use Chicken Kaleji too.
What is Kaleji Masala?
Spicy, scrumptious, and a great coming together of most of the common Indian spices, Kaleji Masala is a common semi-dry preparation that is made with ingredients such as whole spices, onion, garlic, green chilies, curd, spice powders, tomatoes, and fresh coriander.
The mutton liver is considered to be very healthy meat and is often eaten for nutrition, to recover from sickness, and in places where the temperature is very low, for maintenance of body heat.
Although many may not be used to the taste of kaleji, the authentic masalas used in the preparation will ensure it is something that will be prepared for a get together of the family.
Another common preparation that uses Mutton Liver is Keema Kaleji which is a spicy curry made using minced lamb mutton and Mutton Liver.
How to make Kaleji Masala?
Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add tej patta, black peppercorns, cinnamon, and black cardamom and fry for a few seconds.
Add onion and fry until onion is pinkish in color.
Now add ginger and garlic and fry until onion turns golden brown.
Add green chilli and tomato and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and cumin powder and fry for a minute.
Now add little water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add kaleji and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Now add yogurt and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
Add garam masala powder, salt, and fresh coriander and cook for a minute. Serve hot with Naan or Phulke.
How to make it with chicken kaleji?
To make chicken liver instead of goat liver, keep the process mentioned below the same except reduce the cooking time for Chicken Kaleji.
It is much softer and takes very little time to cook as compared to the mutton liver.
It tastes delicious with Indian Bread such as Roti, Tawa Paratha, Kerala Parotta, or even Laccha Paratha.
You can also serve it with plain Steamed Rice or Jeera Rice.
You might also like
Kaleji Masala Recipe
- 500 g Mutton Kaleji
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 Tej patta
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon
- 2 Black cardamom
- 1 cup Onions (Finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (Grated)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (Grated)
- 2 Green chillies (Chopped)
- 1 cup Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt (To taste)
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon Fresh coriander (Chopped)
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add tej patta, black peppercorns, cinnamon and black cardamom and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until onion is pinkish in color.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add green chilli and tomato and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder and fry for a minute.
- Add little water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add kaleji and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add yogurt and cook for another 6-7 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder, salt and fresh coriander and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with Naan or Phulke.
I tried making kaleji fry and chicken sukha,but never tried kaleji masala. the recipe is looking very delicious, definitely going to try this at home.
Do try and leave your feedback Shilpa. We all loved it at home.
Hi I tried your recipe
I love it. It was delicious. Thank you.
Thnx for trying.
Wow! very tasty and yummy recipe.
Very good dish, tasty