Kashmiri Dahi Baingan is an aromatic gravy that has a unique taste because of the subtle but wonderful way eggplant / brinjal come together with curds. It has a nutty, tangy flavor because of the ginger and fennel spices. Here’s how to prepare this Dahi Wale Baingan Kashmiri style.
The art of cooking lies in creating a beautiful dish even from the humble ingredients. And, I am saying so after trying Kashmiri Dahi Baingan because trust me it is one of the best eggplant sides I have ever tasted. Although Bagara Baingan, Baingan Bharta, Kalonji Baingan Masala are great dishes yet the aroma and texture of this Kasmiri eggplant variation remain unparalleled for sure.
Although it seems like a royal and complicated dish, yet no complex preparation is required for trying it at home. Therefore, it can easily be on your weekly or seasonal menu.
Furthermore, it is a highly balanced dish because the ground spices, tanginess of the curd and the smoothness of eggplant complement each other in a beautiful way. As a result, it tastes both with rice and Indian bread.
One of the highlights of this baingan recipe is the fact that we use mustard oil for making it. So, it gets a rustic, North Indian flavour in essence. Secondly, because we use dried red chilli powder, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds in this sabzi turns out exceptional. Also, the deep fried eggplant pieces retain a nice texture and lives up to the smooth gravy.
Benefits of eating eggplant:
- Brinjal or aubergine is a very versatile vegetable, high on oxidants and vitamins.
- By eating it you reduce the risk for heart disease and cancer.
- Moreover, it also controls your blood sugar levels.
- Lastly, it is also good for the weight loss.
How to serve this dish?
In conclusion, this recipe is a good way to enjoy this very simple yet wonderful vegetarian recipe. Do note it down.
Kashmiri Dahi Baingan Recipe
- 350 gms Eggplant / Baingan
- Oil (for shallow frying the Baingan)
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- ¼ tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- 1 cup Curd
- 2 tsp Maida / All purpose flour
- 2 tsp Saunf / Fennel powder
- 1 tsp Saunth / Dry ginger powder
- 3 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Cut the eggplant in long pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the eggplant till slightly browned from the sides.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Whisk curd with maida, saunf powder, saunth, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Add hing once the oil is hot.
- Add the whisked curd.
- Keep stirring till it comes to a boil.
- Add a cup of water, salt and fried eggplants.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with Kashmiri Pulao or Naan.