An unusual biryani that not many might have heard of, Kathal Biryani or Jackfruit Biryani is made using raw jackfruit cooked with a variety of spices. Here is how to make Kathal ki Biryani.
About the recipe
An unusual biryani that not many might have heard of, Kathal Biryani is made using raw jackfruit pieces cooked slowly with a variety of spices and mixed with basmati rice. Raw jackfruit unlike the ripe, has a meatish texture and flavor, and is a specialty in North India.
Slow cooked in a dum style, like Fish Dum Biryani and Egg Dum Biryani, this rice requires the jackfruit to be chopped, and therefore one needs to oil the hands before touching the jackfruit to avoid the stickiness and resultant mess.
The Chunky pieces of jackfruits are then fried until golden brown and cooked with spices to make a spicy gravy. Layered with long grained basmati rice, this kathal makes a delectable combination with the rice and spices in this kathal Biryani.
This biryani can be best enjoyed with any raita on the side and a simple salad. Here is how to make Kathal Biryani.
You might also like
For the Rice
- 2 cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Water
- 2 Tej patta
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- 2 inch piece Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cloves
For the Masala
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon Ghee
- 500 g Raw Jackfruit / Kathal
- 1 teaspoon Shahi zeera
- 1 and ½ cup Onions (Thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger (Finely chopped)
- 3-4 Green chillies
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon Fresh mint (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh coriander (Chopped)
- Salt (To taste)
- ½ cup Golden fried onions
- 2 tablespoon Mint leaves (Chopped)
- 10-12 Cashew nuts (Fried until golden)
- 15-20 Raisins
- 10-15 strands Saffron (Soaked in 1 tablespoon milk)
For the Rice
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the rice in a heavy bottom pan along with 4 cups of water, salt, tej patta, green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- Cook the rice until it is 80% done.
For the Masala
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add jackfruit and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add ghee.
- Once the ghee is hot, add shahi zeera and onion and fry until onion is golden brown.
- Add ginger and green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add yogurt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and fried jackfruit and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add mint, coriander and salt and cover and cook the jackfruit until it is done.
- Add little water if required.
Assembling the Biryani
- In a heavy bottom pan, add the jackfruit masala.
- Sprinkle some golden fried onions, mint leaves, cashew nuts and raisins.
- Cover with cooked rice.
- Top with the remaining golden fried onions, mint leaves, cashew nuts, raisins and saffron soaked in milk.
- Cover the pan tightly and cook on very low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve hot with raita.