Sandesh Sweet is a popular Bengali Mithai that is made using freshly made paneer or chenna which is flavored with a few more ingredients. Make it at home using my simple recipe.
About This Recipe
Sandesh is a popular Bengali sweet that is made with milk and sugar as the two main ingredients. This one is prepared for all the special occasions, festivals and also for Bengali weddings.
To make this sweet, milk is curdled to make chenna. Make sure that you squeeze out all the water from the Chenna, yet keeping it a little moist.
It is then cooked on low heat and flavored with a few more ingredients to give it that authentic Bengali taste. Then, rolled and flattened, you can make them look more appealing by sprinkling some dry fruits on top.
You will find these delectable Sandesh Sweet, properly decorated on every possible sweet shop in Bengal.
Along with the regular Sandesh, you will find varieties of Sandesh in the Mithai shops such as Kesar Sandesh, Makhana Sandesh, Gurer Sandesh, Parijat Sandesh, Chocolate Sandesh, Rose Cream Sandesh, and many more that you can choose from.
It is a simple recipe with fewer ingredients, but you do require some skills and practice. That’s the thing with all the Indian Mithais I guess. Isn’t it?
This Sandesh Sweet is,
- Prepared with few ingredients
- Just like the store bought one
- Perfect for festivals
Milk – Always go for whole milk or full-fat milk to prepare this delectable Sandesh Sweet recipe, for the best results and authentic taste.
Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is added in the milk, which curdles it to make chenna. You can even use vinegar instead of lemon juice.
Sugar – Add in some powdered sugar, so that it gets mixed with the chenna properly, giving it a smooth and soft texture.
Milk Powder – Milk Powders adds to the taste furthermore and also helps in the texture of this Mithai.
Cardamom Powder – Flavour it up with some cardamom powder, it instantly perks up the taste of this simple Bengali mithai.
You can also add in some crushed cardamom seeds, but cardamom powders give it a more soft and smooth texture.
Saffron – Saffron is mixed with milk and then added in the chenna mixture, which gives it a nice subtle yellow colour.
Dry Fruits – At the end, make it look more appealing by garnishing it with some dry fruits on the top.
Step By Step Recipe
Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan.
When the milk comes to a boil, add lemon juice.
Switch off the heat and let the curdled milk rest for 5 minutes.
Line a big bowl with muslin cloth and pour the curdled milk in the cloth and let the whey drain.
Hang the cloth on the tap of your sink for an hour to remove all the excess whey. Take out the chenna on a clean surface.
Add powdered sugar, milk powder, saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder.
Mash with the heels of your hands for a minute.
Take a non stick pan and cook the chenna for a few minutes, to remove all the excess moisture.
Let it cool for a few minutes.
Take small amount of chenna in your palms and slightly mash it. Make small rounds and flatten them a little bit.
Make all the Sandesh in the same way. Garnish with slivered dry fruits and serve.
Sandesh tastes best the same day, but you can also refrigerate them in an airtight container for about 2 days. Do not keep it outside for long.
Pro Tips By Neha
Once you mix all the ingredients in the Chenna, mash it properly using your hands for 3 to 5 minutes for the best results. Do not miss on this step, this is very important.
Chenna should have a little moisture in the same, before cooking. Yes, squeeze all the water, but it should still be a little moist.
Do not cook chenna for more time, it will become crumbly and grainy.
Use a clean cloth to make Chenna.
Sandesh Sweet Recipe
- 1 lt Full cream milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 4 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 pinch Saffron (soaked in 1 tbsp milk for a few hours.)
- Dry fruits for garnishing
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add lemon juice.
- Switch off the heat and let the curdled milk rest for 5 minutes.
- Line a big bowl with muslin cloth and pour the curdled milk in the cloth and let the whey drain.
- Hang the cloth on the tap of your sink for an hour to remove all the excess whey.
- Take out the chenna on a clean surface.
- Add powdered sugar, milk powder, saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder.
- Mash with the heels of your hands for a minute.
- Take a non stick pan and cook the chenna for a few minutes, to remove all the excess moisture.
- Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Take small amount of chenna in your palms and slightly mash it.
- Make small rounds and flatten them a little bit.
- Make all the sandesh in the same way.
- Garnish with slivered dry fruits and serve.