Khatta Meetha Kaddu… Kaddu or Pumpkin is one of those vegetables which always gets a secondary treatment in most house holds. On the contrary, pumpkin is one of the healthiest vegetables that I have come across.
Full of calcium, potassium, phosphorous, copper et al, pumpkin is even a good source of dietary fiber. Its seeds are full of vitamins, proteins, and minerals.
That’s why, I often make pumpkin full dishes like Pumpkin Spice Granola or kaddu sabzi every fall. Whereas Pumpkin Raita and Khatta Meetha Kaddu Recipe are my favorite accompaniment that I make to relish with phulkas and biryani.
Pumpkin, when cooked properly, can beat any Bhindi or Potato. And Khatta Meetha Kaddu recipe is the best example of the same.
Simply cooked using basic spices, Khatta Meetha Kaddu or sweet and sour pumpkin curry can be made on the usual weekdays and even during weekends when your family sits together for a lovely, homely meal.
Here’s my step-by-step guide for making sweet sour Khatta Meetha Kaddu, do follow the recipe and make this delicious sabzi soon!
Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Heeng / Asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon Methi / Fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon Sarson / Mustard seeds
- 3 - 4 Dry red chilies
- 500 gms Kaddu / Pumpkin (Peeled and cut into small cubes)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 50 gms Gur / Jaggery (Grated)
- 1 tablespoon Amchoor / Dry Mango powder
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add heeng, methi, sarson and dry red chili and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add Kaddu, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook the kaddu on low heat for 10-12 minutes till done.
- Do not over cook otherwise kaddu will turn mushy.
- Sprinkle little water if required.
- Add gur and amchoor powder and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with Dal and Chapati or Paratha.