Lauki ki Barfi is made using grated Lauki, khoya, ghee and full cream milk. Lauki ki Barfi tastes yummier as grated Lauki, full cream milk and khoya blend along in a tempting combination.
Barfi is a sweet that is mostly eaten in every Indian household. Made from milk solids, sugar, rich Indian dry-fruits, I am yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like eating Barfi.
Nariyal ki Barfi is made at home on several festivals and it is kind of liked by my kid as well. While my favourite still happens to be Kaju ki Barfi, the other day when my mother-in-law talked about Lauki ki Barfi, I got tempted to try it at home.
My kid doesn’t like eating Lauki, so I thought this would be a good idea to make him eat some Lauki in the form of dessert.
Once the base for Lauki ki Barfi got ready, I garnished it with almond and pistachio silvers in order to grant it that quintessential royal crunch.
Just like me, you could also decorate this yummy dessert with silver foil and even if you do not feel like that’s fine because that fresh, greenish colour of Lauki ki Barfi is so inviting that you would not pay attention to anything else.
So, prepare tempting Lauki ki Barfi whenever feel like with my easy recipe, invite over some friends and eat this delicious desserts with them!
Lauki ki Barfi Recipe
- 1 lt Full cream milk
- 2 cups Lauki bottle gourd (peeled and grated without seeds)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 250 gms Khoya (Grated and fried in a pan till slightly browned)
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Almond and pistachio slivers to garnish
- Silver foil to garnish
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the grated lauki.
- Cook till all the milk has reduced and mixture has thickened.
- Add sugar.
- The lauki will release some more water.
- Cook again till the mixture has thickened.
- Add the khoya, ghee and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Grease a small plate with ghee and pour the mixture in the plate.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the plate.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Apply silver foil if using.
- Let the barfi set for a few hours in the fridge.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days in refrigerator.