Sorakaya Pachadi or Lauki Ki Chutney is a simple, yet delicious Andhra style bottle gourd chutney. Made with bottle gourd flesh, it is sweetish, spicy and done in the traditional South Indian style, with tempering.
Doodhi or Bottle Gourd is a long melon and is a water vegetable, since 90% of it is water. It is very good for health and nutritious. Often, the vegetable is used to make a gravy dish or in koftas, but this chutney too is a wonderful versatile way to use this vegetable. Lauki helps in digestion, takes care of the urinary system, is refreshing drink in summers and even helps manage stress.
Chutneys made using gourd and bottle gourd, for instance, bottle chutney, bottle gourd chutney have never been my favourite. But once I tasted a bottle gourd chutney made in the style of pachadis of sorakaya at a friend’s place, I become its fan. Made using oil, dal along with fresh curry leaves and tadka of mustard seed, this gourd chutney is simply delicious.
I have used bottle gourd quite a bit in my preparations, to make Indian flatbread or Lauki Theplas, in sweets as Lauki Kheer, Lauki Nazakat, a rich gravy and as a part of several vegetables dishes. Here is how to make Lauki Ki Chutney or Sorakaya Pachadi.
Lauki Ki Chutney
- Lauki / Bottle gourd - 200 g
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Green chili - 2-3
- Fresh Coriander - ¼ cup
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves
- Ginger - ½ inch piece
- Tamarind - gooseberry sized ball soaked in little water
- Jaggery - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For tempering
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 3-4
- Curry leaves - 10-12
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan.
- Add lauki and salt and cover and cook lauki until it is softened.
- Add all the ingredients in a grinder and grind to make a smooth chutney.
- For tempering, heat oil in pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add chana dal and let it fry until it turns slightly brown.
- Add mustard seeds, dry red chilli and curry leaves and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Switch off the heat and add red chilli powder.
- Immediately pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Mix well and serve with Rice, Dal or Paratha.