Lauki Ki Kheer is a creamy dessert which I make every year during Janmashtami and even out of the blue to surprise my family. Also, in our household whenever we fast, we make sure to make a feast out of it! I remember my childhood days when mom made a basket full of Mewa Paag, Panjiri, Dahi Wale Aloo, Kuttu Singhade ki Pakodi and many more Falahari dishes and we would hog on them the entire day. Keeping up with the tradition, I too make a few varieties of Falahari dishes on Janmashtami and other festivities. Some of the dishes such as Lauki Ki Kheer, Sabudana Vada, Sabudana Thalipeeth are made on a regular basis at my home, we do not need to fast for eating them, you see!
Rich in texture and taste, Lauki Ki Kheer or Bottle Gourd Kheer doesn’t need any special preparations and making it is very easy. All you need to make lauki kheer is fresh bottle gourd, some cream, dry fruits, milk, saffron, sugar, and ghee. Serve this lauki recipe as a special dessert and perk up your family on weekend or weekdays. I suggest generously garnish it with tons of dry fruits and relish it chilled. Get started, bookmark its recipe to simmer this perfectly succulent sweet at home! Here is how to make Lauki Ki kheer.
Lauki Ki Kheer
Lauki Ki Kheer
lauki Ki Kheer
- Full cream milk - 1 litre
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - 10-12
- Almonds - 10-12
- Lauki / Bottle gourd - 2 cups Grated
- Saffron - 10-12 strands
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Almond and pistachio slivers.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Fry almonds and cashew nuts till slightly browned.
- Keep aside.
- In the same ghee, add the grated Lauki and fry for 3- minutes on low heat.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the milk starts to boil, simmer the heat and add the lauki in it.
- Add the saffron in the milk and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Once the kheer has thickened to the desired consistency, add cardamom powder and sugar.
- Cook for another minute.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers and rose petals.
- Serve hot or chilled.