I have always loved kneading and baking. Breads are my special favorites and I have tried many varieties in the past. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is something I have loved to make which my family too enjoys.
Loaded with tangy sweet citrusy flavor, and strong poppy seed component, this bread uses both the outer lemon skin or zest as well as inner juice. The black poppy seeds dotting the bread look beautiful and add a delightful crunch.
They give a much more striking look than white. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is basically a quick bread which is actually more of a cake than a bread.
Poppy Seeds are an essential component of many foods. They can either be used just as they easily blend with spices to make gravies like the Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan, Murgh Shahjahani and dry powders such as the Bisi Bele Bath Masala used for the preparation of the rice.
Here is how to make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread. If black poppy seeds are not available, you can use the white ones as well.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Loaded with tangy sweet citrusy flavor, and strong poppy seed component, this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is a must make recipe.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Black Poppy seeds If Black ones are not available, you can use white ones as well
- 1/4 cup Confectioner’s sugar - 1/4 cup
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice - 3 tbsp
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and line a 10X4.5inch loaf pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Do not over mix.
- Add popped sees and give the batter a quick mix.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cover the pan with a piece of aluminium foil after 25-30 minutes, if the cake starts to brown from the top too fast.
- Remove the pan from oven and let the bread cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Heat lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar in a pan until nicely combined and smooth.
- Pour the topping over the bread.
- Cut the loaf into slices and serve.