We usually like eating savoury, unique rice-based dishes such as Spinach Rice, Thai Pineapple Fried Rice, Ellu Sadam. And they all definitely taste yummy but what if I tell you that you can make sweet rice which can be eaten as a dessert or as an accompaniment with your meals, would you believe me? Meethe Chawal or Zarda Pulao is a sweet rice preparation. My mom has been making this recipe, year after year since childhood for Diwali. Laden with ghee and dry fruits and full of flavors from saffron and rose water, this is one of my favorites dishes. This delicious cardamom and saffron flavored sweet rice provides a wonderful end to any meal. It is also easy to cook and loved by both children and adults alike.
Meethe Chawal can be served as a dessert as well with a pinch of innovation or you could feast upon it even during brunch or dinner. Here is the easy and simple recipe to make this delicious pulao. Do give it a try. BTW, for more such interesting recipe, do not forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Hurry!
Video Recipe of Meethe Chawal
Meethe Chawal / Zarda Pulao
- Rice - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Saffron - 2 pinch
- Yellow food color - 1 pinch
- Cardamom - 4-5 crushed
- Black cardamom - 2 crushed
- Cloves - 8-10
- Milk - 1 cup
- Rose water - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Chironji - 2 tbsp
- Almonds - 10-12 chopped
- Cashew nuts - 10-12 chopped
- Raisins - 2 tbsp
- Gently wash the rice and soak in water for 1 hour.
- Mix milk, yellow food color, saffron, rose water and sugar in a bowl
- Heat 4-5 cups water in a pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add the soaked rice.
- Cook till the rice is 80 % done.
- Strain in a sieve and mix a tsp of ghee in the rice.
- Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pan.
- Add almonds, cashew nuts, chironji and raisins and fry till golden brown.
- Add cardamom, black cardamom and cloves.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the milk mixture.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and add the rice.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot.