You would love this delicious curry made using fish fillets and fresh fenugreek leaves. Here is a lovely recipe to make it.
Weekends are always elaborate dinner days for us and I make sure I am making something special to perk up the menu. Sometimes it’s a pasta night or somedays I lay down a Middle eastern spread but this weekend being a Holi weekend was more about Indian food and so gave this Methi Machli a shot.
Fish marinated with spices and deep fried and simmered in a spicy gravy along with fresh fenugreek leaves made for a lovely combo and some crispy Laccha Paratha on the side was much loved by everyone.
The recipe came out so good that I am planning to make it again for a house party next weekend and serve it along with Naan this time. So here is how to make Methi Machli.
- 300 g Fish (cut into slices)
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds (Crushed)
- 1 cup Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Fenugreek Leaves / Fresh Methi (Chopped)
- Wash the fish and apply some salt o it.
- Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Wash the fish and fry the slices until slightly browned from both the sides.
- Mean while heat, 3 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add crushed methi seeds, onion and green chilli and fry till onion turns slightly brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry until onions are nicely browned and the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add yogurt and cook for a minute.
- Now add red chilli powder, chilli flakes, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add the fish pieces, fenugreek leaves and a cup of water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with rice or Phulke.