Try this flavourful Methi Machli, where fried fish is simmered in a spicy yogurt fenugreek gravy. Serve with steamed rice or lachha paratha. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Methi means “fenugreek leaves” and Machli means “fish”. It is a flavourful curry where fried fish pieces are simmered in a spicy gravy prepared with yogurt, fresh fenugreek leaves and a few more simple ingredients.
It is especially prepared in winters, when fresh methi /fenugreek leaves are available. If fresh methi is not available, try this curry with dried fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi.
It is best served with steamed rice or lachha paratha. You can also serve it with other Indian breads such as tandoori roti, naan, tawa paratha or phulka.
Fish – Use any boneless fish fillets of your choice to use in this curry.
Fenugreek Leaves – This recipe uses fresh fenugreek leaves, which is freshly available in winters. If fresh methi is not available, you can use dried fenugreek or kasuri methi instead.
Oil – Mustard oil adds a unique flavour, which makes the curry even more delicious. You can even use vegetable oil instead.
Spice powders – This curry uses basic spice powders such as red chilli powder, chilli flakes, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Adjust the spice powders according to your taste.
Yogurt – Use fresh yogurt and make sure it’s not sour.
Others – Other than the above mentioned ingredients, you will also need methi seeds, onion, green chilli, ginger paste, garlic paste and lemon juice.
Methi Machli will last in the fridge for 2-3 days, when stored in an air tight container. Reheat in a pan or microwave until hot before serving. Add in hot water to adjust the consistency, if the curry becomes a little thick after refrigeration.
- 300 g Fish (cut into slices)
- 4 tablespoon Mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Crushed)
- 1 cup Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Fenugreek Leaves / Fresh Methi (Chopped)
- Wash the fish and apply some salt o it.
- Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Wash the fish and fry the slices until slightly browned from both the sides.
- Mean while heat, 3 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add crushed methi seeds, onion and green chilli and fry till onion turns slightly brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry until onions are nicely browned and the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add yogurt and cook for a minute.
- Now add red chilli powder, chilli flakes, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add the fish pieces, fenugreek leaves and a cup of water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with rice or Phulke.