Murhg Rezala is a very famous Bengali recipe which has a Mughlai Origin. Murgh Rezala is a chicken gravy which is white, unlike other chicken curry dishes, and is extremely flavorful with very delicate flavors. Usually only dry red chilies are added to make the gravy but because we like our food spicy, I have also added some red chili powder to it to give it that extra kick. Mughlai dishes are very rich, cooked for many hours, and are layered with flavors. For some authentic Mughlai dishes, you must try the Mughlai Dum Arbi, a sweet dish and other chicken gravies such as Mughlai Zaafrani Murgh and Mughlai Murgh Korma.
Rezala gravy is traditionally made with mutton but I have made a chicken version of it. Here is the recipe to make Murgh Rezala.
- Chicken - 1 kg ( with bones )
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Cloves - 3-4
- Black pepper corns - 6-8
- Cinnamon - 2 inch stick
- Green cardamom - 2
- Black cardamom - 2
- Dry red chilies - 4-5
- Onion paste - 1 cup
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Cashew nuts - 10-12
- Poppy seeds - 2 tbsp
- White pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Kewra essence - 5-6 drops
- Soak cashew nuts and poppy seeds in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste in a blender.
- Mix chicken, onion paste, ginger paste, garlc paste and yogurt in a bowl and marinate for an hour.
- Heat ghee and oil in a karahi / pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom and dry red chilies.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Pick chicken pieces from the marinade and fry on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the marinade, cashewnut and poppy seeds paste, white pepper powder, salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Cover and cook for 40-50 minutes.
- Add kewra essence.
- Serve hot with rice or Rumali roti.