Garlic Knots is an Italian bread shaped like a knot. These are soft and airy and best enjoyed warm. Check out my easy recipe to make these!
Here are some more similar recipes, that you can try at home – Sausage Bread Rolls, Dutch Crunch Bread, Turkish Bread Simit and Dinner Rolls.
About This Recipe
Garlic Knots is an Italian bread that is super soft, airy, and fluffy from inside and a little crusty from outside.
Full of buttery garlic flavor and aroma, these mini Italian treats make for a great appetizer or a side dish with your meals.
If you have less time on your hand, you can also use the store-bought pizza dough to make this garlic knot recipe.
But I would recommend making it fresh because the best buttery knots turn out when made with the homemade dough.
Crusty on the outside and light as air from inside, these are flavored with garlic and parsley which adds a fantastic taste to it and takes the taste of these knots a notch higher.
In the end, adds some grated parmesan cheese on the top of hot knots, which will enhance the taste even more.
If you want to make Cheesy Garlic Knots, you can also stuff some Mozzarella Cheese inside and bake them. They taste delectably amazing too.
Beautifully shaped with a flavor of garlic, parsley, and parmesan cheese, these homemade little treats are a must if you are planning an Italian meal for your weekend brunch or house parties.
Make sure you make double the quantity of what you are thinking to make, as these will fall short when served among your guests because none can just stop at one, neither can you.
Also, next time you crave for Pizza Hut, Papa Johns or Dominos, just make them and I am sure it will satisfy your pizza cravings.
This recipe is,
- Super Soft
- Topped with garlic herb butter
- Perfect for sides with everyday meals
All-Purpose Flour – The base of these knots is prepared with all-purpose flour, which makes these garlic knots super soft.
Garlic Powder – This is is used to add that little hint of garlic in the dough.
Yeast – Use active dry yeast which helps the dough to rise. You can also use the traditional yeast, but this one works the best of you have less time in your hands.
Sugar, Warm Water, and Warm Milk – Sugar is mixed with yeast, warm water, and warm milk to make a mixture that is kept aside for 5 minutes, to let the bubbles form. This mixture is used to knead the dough.
Olive Oil – Use good quality olive oil, as the bad quality might give a bad taste to the dough.
The mixture to top the Garlic Knots – For this, we will need, olive oil, butter, fresh garlic, and parsley. Fresh garlic is minced and added in the mixture along with parsley, which adds a fantastic flavor.
Parmesan Cheese Sauce – Sprinkle some cheese on top to add more taste and make these knots even more appealing.
You can even add basil instead of parsley in this herbed butter sauce.
Step By Step Recipe
Mix warm water, warm milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
Keep aside for 5-8 minutes.
Mix flour, salt, garlic powder and olive oil in a bowl.
Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix together to make a dough.
Take out the dough on a lightly floured surface and keep kneading with the heel of your hands for 10-12 minutes. ( Kneading is the key guys. Do not compromise on this step ) If using a stand mixer, knead on medium speed for 6-8 minutes.
Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough in the bowl.
Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours, till the dough doubles in size.
Lightly punch the dough.
Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces. Lightly oil your work surface and roll each piece into a ball. Roll each ball into a 7-8 inch long cylinder.
Then bring the ends together to make a knot.
Grease a baking sheet and line the knots on the sheet keeping a distance of 1 and ½ inch between each knot.
Cover with a cloth and keep aside in a warm place for an hour.
Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Set the oven on TOAST MODE where both the heating elements with work. ( In my oven it is represented by two parallel lines ) Mix egg white with a tablespoon of water. Lightly brush the egg wash on the knots. Bake the knots for 15- 20 minutes, till slightly browned form the top.
Meanwhile heat butter and olive oil in a pan.
.Add garlic and fry until it is slightly browned. Add parsley and switch off the heat.
When the knots are done, pour the butter mixture over them. Grate Parmesan over the hot knots.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have less time, you can even use store-bought pizza dough to make these addictive Garlic Knots.
To make it using Pizza dough, prepare the knots as mentioned in the recipe and bake it for about 15 to 20 minutes. Now prepare the herb garlic butter as per the recipe and pour it on the top of these garlic knots.
Yes, you can! But as the protein varies in both of them, the texture will also differ a bit.
If you use Bread Flour, they will be crispy from outside and chewy from the inside, but if you use all-purpose flour, they will be soft and fluffy.
To make a Parmesan Herbed Sauce, just add in some grated or powdered Parmesan Cheese in the butter, garlic, olive oil and herb mixture. Mix it all and then top the garlic knots with the buttery deliciousness.
To make it vegan, you can use in soy milk or any plant-based milk instead of normal milk, skip the eggs and use olive instead of butter to make the dough.
To make the buttery herbed sauce, you can use vegan butter instead of normal butter. You can follow this recipe to make Eggless Garlic Knots too.
You can store these in fridge for a day in an air tight container.
Just heat it for 10 seconds before serving it again.
It is not recommended to refrigerate it for more than a day, because the knots will get dry and become stale very fast.
If you have leftover, you can freeze them instead for about 2 months.
Just wrap them tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
Whenever you want to reheat these frozen knots again, preheat your oven, place the knots in baking sheets and bake them for 4 to 5 minutes.
You can also freeze the dough to make these knots later.
Just thaw the dough and shape them into the knots and bake.
These knots can be served with pasta dishes like White Sauce Pasta, Aglio E Olio, or Chicken Broccoli Pasta.
You can serve these with a salad or any main course dish.
I like to pair these with Lemon Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Stew or Chicken with Mushroom Sauce. You can also serve it on the side with some creamy Continental Curries.
Garlic Knots Recipe
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoon Active dry yeast
- ½ cup Warm Water (warm)
- ¼ cup Warm Milk (warm)
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Egg white
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese ( to grate on top of the knots)
- Mix warm water, warm milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- Keep aside for 5-8 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt, garlic powder and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix together to make a dough.
- Take out the dough on a lightly floured surface and keep kneading with the heel of your hands for 10-12 minutes. ( Kneading is the key guys. Do not compromise on this step )
- If using a stand mixer, knead on medium speed for 6-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours, till the dough doubles in size.
- Lightly punch the dough.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces.
- Lightly oil your work surface and roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball into a 7-8 inch long cylinder and then bring the ends together to make a knot.
- Grease a baking sheet and line the knots on the sheet keeping a distance of 1 and ½ inch between each knot.
- Cover with a cloth and keep aside in a warm place for an hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Set the oven on TOAST MODE where both the heating elements with work. ( In my oven it is represented by two parallel lines )
- Mix egg white with a tablespoon of water.
- Lightly brush the egg wash on the knots.
- Bake the knots for 15- 20 minutes, till slightly browned form the top.
- Meanwhile heat butter and olive oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and fry until it is slightly browned.
- Add parsley and switch off the heat.
- When the knots are done, pour the butter mixture over them.
- Grate Parmesan over the hot knots.
looks perfect and very tempting 🙂
So soft and pillowy breads!!Love them.
wow awesome and perfectly done…luv ur clicks…
Seriously i want that basket of garlic knots, certainly very tempting garlic knots there.