Baking Hamburger Buns was on my to-do list for the longest time but for some reason, it never happened. My kiddo loves chicken burger and it was always Mc Donalds for the weekend for him. But after reading a few negative reviews about Mc Donalds, I somehow managed to convince him for not eating at the outlet so often and promised to make burgers for him at home. I also made a note to make the Hamburger Buns at home to make the burgers.
Finally yesterday, I made these super soft and most probably the best Hamburger Buns we have eaten in recent times. Although the buns were very soft (we ate half of them slathered with butter and Nutella), they made a very nice and sturdy base for the chicken patties and veggies. This recipe for Hamburger Buns is going to stay with me for a long time. I have tried making other kinds of buns too, Chicken Stuffed Buns and another bun like bread, the Brioche Nanterre. However, till date, Hamburger Buns have been one of the biggest hits of my kitchen. Also, after relishing fresh, Hamburger Buns made by me, now my kid doesn’t like the burgers served at Mc Donalds, ha! So, if making Hamburger Buns is on your to-do list as well then do not delay making these fluffy things. Read a super easy recipe for preparing them:
Perfect Hamburger Buns
- Milk - 1 and 1/4 cup
- Unsalted butter - 2 and 1/2 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Active dry yeast - 2 and 1/4 tsp
- Bread flour - 3 and 1/2 cup If bread flour is not available, use 3 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 14 cup wheat gluten.
- Egg - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1/4 cup for brushing on top
- Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp for sprinkling ton top
- Mix milk, unsalted butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Heat till the butter is dissolved.
- Keep aside and cool till warm to touch.
- Add yeast.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add bread flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the milk mixture in the mixing bowl.
- Add egg and mix to make a sticky dough.
- Take out the dough on a lightly floured surface and keep kneading with the heel of your hands for 10-12 minutes. ( Kneading is the key guys. Do not compromise on this step )
- If using a stand mixer, knead on medium speed for 6-8 minutes )
- Lightly oil a bowl and transfer the dough in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a moist cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours, till the dough doubles in size.
- Lightly punch the dough and knead on the counter for a minute.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal pieces.
- Lightly oil your work surface and roll each piece into a ball on it.
- Keep the balls on a parchment lined tray and cover with a cling wrap.
- Keep in a warm place for an hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Set the oven on TOAST MODE where both the heating elements with work. ( In my oven it is represented by two parallel lines )
- Brush the surface of the buns with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Position the tray in the middle half of the oven.
- Bake the burgers for 15 - 20 minutes, till they are golden brown from the top.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- You can eat them as such, smeared with some butter or Nutella or make burgers.