Potato Au Gratin With Caramelized Onion and Gouda Cheese is a lightly herbed and flavored Italian dish that is as delicious to taste as it is easy to make. The soft and buttery cooked potatoes are layered with rich Gouda cheese and sprinkled with herbs to be cooked in an oven. These when served with sweet and spicy caramelized onion, have a rich flavor, and isn’t too heavy on the palate.
Recipe to make Potato Au Gratin with Caramelised Onion
Potato Au Gratin With Caramelised Onion and Gouda Cheese
- Onions - 1 cup sliced
- Butter - 2 tbsp plus 3 tbsp
- Potato - 4 Medium size, cut into thin slices
- Bechamel sauce - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Gouda cheese - 1 and 1/2 cup Grated
- Fresh rosemary - 2 tbsp
- Fresh thyme - 2 tbsp
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Add 2 tbsp butter in a pan and add the onions.
- Cook till onions starts to brown.
- Add little sprinkling of water and cook till onions are really browned and softened.
- Remove the onions from the pan and keep aside.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet, arrange 1/3 rd of the potato slices in an overlapping manner.
- Top with 1/3 rd of the sauce, 1/3 rd onions and 1/3 rd of the cheese.
- Put 1 tbsp of the butter on top.
- Sprinkle some herbs on top.
- Repeat the layering 2 more times.
- Transfer the skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are tender and slightly browned from the top.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Recipe to make Bechamel Sauce is Here.