Red Rice Poha or Red Poha Upma is a healthy and delicious breakfast option made using red poha and is very easy to make as well. Here is how to make it.
Kanda Poha or Onion Poha is a very popular breakfast dish in Maharashtra.
Poha or beaten rice is extremely nutritious and commonly used to make many light and delicious breakfast dishes.
I’m using Red rice poha for this recipe as all the nutrients are intact in the rice and make it of higher nutritional content that regular poha.
This Onion poha makes for a great breakfast and a delicious snack to take you through the day.
The key to making this red poha dish just like the classic Maharashtrian favorite it to ensure that the poha is soaked and cooked perfectly; you must take some extra care to ensure that the poha doesn’t become soggy.
To make this khanda poha, the red rice poha is first soaked in water just until it becomes soft, depending on the thickness of poha used; the timings for soaking may differ.
Once the poha is drained, it is kept aside and the other ingredients are heated in some oil.
The potatoes are allowed to fry in some vegetable oil and in another bowl, peanuts are fried till brown.
To the remaining oil, mustard and curry leaves are added, followed by the addition of green chillies and onions, to this the tomatoes are added and fried.
Some of the quintessential ingredients like salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice, and sugar are added and to this, poha is added and mixed.
Lastly, it’s topped with a handful of fresh coriander.
This Red Rice Poha Upma recipe is really simple to make and red poha is said to be very easily digestible. It also helps to keep your energy levels high and banish those hunger pangs.
Another benefit of red rice poha recipe is that it’s high in iron, carbohydrates, and proteins.
Overall this Red Poha Recipe is a great dish to prepare for breakfast or brunch and it also serves as a light bedtime meal for those who aren’t looking at having anything too heavy at night.
This dish is extremely light as well and the addition of peanuts gives it a lovely crunch.
All the fresh ingredients used to make it a versatile breakfast option and the perfect start to brighten up your day.
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the poha and soak in enough water till it softens. ( Be careful at this step so that Poha doesn’t become soggy )
Drain the poha in a colander and let the excess water drain nicely. Keep aside.
Heat oil for frying potatoes in a pan. When the oil is hot, add potatoes and fry on high heat till golden brown and crunchy from outside. You can skip frying the potatoes and use boiled ones instead.
Add peanuts in the hot oil and fry till slightly browned. Remove the peanuts in a plate.
Add 2 tbsp oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard splatter for a few seconds.
Add green chillies and onion and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and fry for a minute.
Now add salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice, sugar, potato, peanuts, and poha and mix well. Cook 2-3 minutes on low heat.
Add fresh coriander and mix well. Serve hot.
Red Rice Kanda Poha Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cup Red Rice Poha
- 1/2 cup Potato (Peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 1/4 cup Peas (Boiled)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil (Plus for Frying)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Tomato (Chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Coriander (Chopped)
- Wash the poha and soak in enough water till it softens. ( Be careful at this step so that Poha doesn’t become soggy )
- Drain the poha in a colander and let the excess water drain nicely.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil for frying potatoes in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add potatoes and fry on high heat till golden brown and crunchy from outside.
- Add peanuts in the hot oil and fry till slightly browned.
- Remove the peanuts in a plate.
- Transfer the oil in a container for later use.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Let the mustard splatter for a few seconds.
- Add green chilies and onion and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice, sugar, potato, peanuts and poha and mix well.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Add fresh coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.